Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sleeping on your back
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:44 am 

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there is a specific time when you should't sleep on your back while you are pregnant?

I'm nearly 17 weeks and I dont even have a bump, so I was thinking my uterous cant be that large that it would cause problems at this stage. I was just wondering what everyone thought.

This is because when i sleep on my sides i wake during the night and i'm in really bad pain. So i turn to the other side, and the same thing happens!! :cry:
So then what other position can I use to sleep, no more sides and the front is out of the question!!

Im in a constant state of exhaustion at the moment!!

Any help you guys could offer would be gratefullt received.

Thank you

Vicky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:52 am 

Sleep in whatever position that you're comfortable. If you can still lay on your back or stomach then do it. Your body will stop you before something becomes dangerous to either you or the baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:31 am 
Well you should probably gey used to sleeping on your sides if it hurts that much already. Remember you will only get ehavier and it will probably hurt more. It hurt my hips to sleep on my side but I got used to it. Once you get into the last months of pregnancy there is really no comfortable position to sleep in. At least that was my experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:53 pm 

I had to get a full body pillow to prop myself against in bed.. believe me, so way to sleep is comfy after awhile. The worst pain I get was driving in my lower back, I had to put my purse behind my back to arch it to even drive without crying.. very terrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:06 pm 
Hi Vicky,

I had the same problem. I was told to start sleeping on the side since 14th week and although not immediately required, though benefitial soon for being used to when you need it, and from my info it is mandatory since some 17tho or 18th week.

Anyhow..
I also had very sore sides, especially points where my side was hevier and was bearing waight agains the matress. So.. it was an arm and the pelvic area. OUch.. painful.. I could cry.

Since I have very hard mattress and would never change it for the world because it saved me from back pains once for all... I did noticed that the hard surface of the matress was contributing to the pain.

One day out of desperation, in the middle of night I took an older down king size comforter, folded it in half and went back to sleep.

It was few weeks ago, ever since I sleep like a baby, I just make sure that it is fluffed every night and gives me support.
In addition to that i aslo use the body pillow that I either cling to or rest my back aganist - it also help.

So now I am afraid to waste the down comforter and that is why I plan to run to Beth Bath and Beyond or other alike.. maby LInnens and things and get some seriously thick feather bad.

I am telling you, it is just fantastic, try for one night and you will see the difference.

I also am using 3 pillows under my head, one - cotton for suport, one down for comfort of the head and one bit lower for arm comfort.

I think I eliminated all points of stress on my body aganist mattress and now I wake up rested and relaxed. It is so cozy to sleep in this prep.

take care and let me know if you tried.

sincerely,

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:12 pm 

I was told by my doctor... you'll know when you should start sleeping on your side....
Now if I even try to sleep on my tummy my baby lets me know that he's upset with me!!! Some times I think that he's going to lift me right off the bed! :D
As far as sleeping on my back.... I still wake up on it some times...
then roll myself back onto my side... I can't wait to sleep on my back again!!!

-nat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:14 am 

when I was pregnant I told myself "I can't wait to sleep through the night again without haveing to get up to pee!" Well, with a 3 1/2 month old baby... still have only gotten a feel all nighters in..