Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sleeping
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:51 pm 

Hi again, I have trouble sleeping at night. I am tired i just have trouble falling asleep. I dont want to take any sleep medication because im afraid i wont wake up if my baby wakes up for some reason. Is there anything i can take that will help me fall asleep? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:21 am 

Try drinking some warm milk and read for a bit before you try to fall asleep. I don't think there is anything you can "take" to make you fall asleep that isn't sleep medication. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:52 pm 

BTW you're right, you definately don't want to take sleeping pills when you have a baby who wakes up through the night to take care of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:05 pm 

http://www.melatonin.com/

check that out. It's an herbal remedy to help you sleep. How old is your baby?

Maybe you could try some chamomile tea before bed, it's supposed to be soothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:56 pm 

thanks everyone. emma doesnt wake up during the night anymore unless she needs a diaper change and the last time i remember getting up to change her diaper at 2 am was a week ago. shes really good with that but i hate not sleeping. i used to take melatonin when i was younger my mom used to give it to me, thanks i forgot all about it. and the chamomile tea i try that too. i drank it last night because my ob told me it can settle an upset stomache and i was feeling queezy all night long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:06 pm 

Your baby is already sleeping through the night. . .lucky duck! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm 

Suzanne wrote:
Your baby is already sleeping through the night. . .lucky duck! :D

no kidding! You aren't still giving her cereal are you???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:18 pm 

no. the doctor suggested a very small amount but im to worried to give it to her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:05 pm 

I'm glad I was able to help. That's great your baby is sleeping great already, I didn't get the luxury for months...

Hope you get a good nights sleep. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:07 pm 

Here I did some research for you:

U. S. Food and Drug Administration
FDA Consumer
September 1985; Revised January 1992

About 25 years ago, it was commonly recommended that babies be given "solid" food beginning at 6 weeks of age or sometimes younger. But a generation of experience has led pediatric experts to conclude that 6 weeks is too early for even cereal mixed with milk, the first traditional solid food. Today the common recommendation is that babies should receive only breast milk or infant formula until they are at least 4 to 6 months old.

Reasons for this are several. Contrary to previous theory, experts now advise that solid food does not make a baby anymore likely to sleep through the night than a diet of only formula or breast milk. Such a liquid diet can appease the hunger of an infant under 4 to 6 months of age. The nervous system also needs to mature so the baby can recognize a spoon, coordinate swallowing, and signal if hungry or full. Feeding solids before the baby has these skills is really a kind of force-feeding. Introducing solids too early may contribute to overfeeding and result in food allergies, which can cause gastrointestinal and other problems.

Does your doctor want you to give her cereal to prevent her from spitting up? Have you talked to him/her about your daughter vommiting after every feeding? you should check this out for that BTW: http://www.enfalac.ca/en/products/formulas_3.html

I wouldn't give her cereal at her age. Is she still projectile vomiting? Poor little thing :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:09 pm 

Some doctors like to continue to use outdated methods of raising children. A lot of older doctors still believe it's okay to give a child cereal after 6 weeks of age. I wish they would get proper re-education for those doctors. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 am 

Phew. . .I;m REALLY glad you decided not to give your daughter cereal, I can't believe your doctor would suggest even a small ammount! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:01 pm 

Oh yea it's really unfortunate, not to mention scary! My doctor is old, close to retiring, but he is sensible enough to pay attention to medical advances and updates! It's a shame that so many docrots are giving out bad advice! :( :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:47 pm 

yeah she wanted me to give it to her to prevent the spitting up. she isnt projectile vomiting anymore since i switched her formula. im sticking with AR lipil because its for babies who frequently spit up and i also burp her every ounce (which i did before) but the formula seems to work for her.

thankyou everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:08 pm 

thats good!

Here this girl is 15, mabey you can relate to her since you went through the same thing: http://www.baby-place.com/baby_boards/v ... php?t=1481