Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sleepless at 12 months
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:07 am 

Hello,

I am new to this bulletin board - my name is Nicholas, my wife's name is Naomi and we have a daughter of nearly 13 months.

Theresa is a very active child - she started walking at 8 months. She was breastfeed exclusively until 6 months, when we began introducing solids slowly. She is still breastfeeding, but eating and drinking more otherwise.

Since 8 months, her sleeping has been HORRENDOUS. She doesn't sleep well day or night (though lately she has been sleeping up to 2 hours in total during the day, in two sessions). Her nights have become very bad, with her waking 4 - 10 times a night, crying. She stands up in her cot AND SCREAMS, until eventually it is impossible, and she ends up in our bed. Even there, she is very restless, waking constantly to nurse. Our family doctor prescribed a medication to be used on occasion, but it is now ineffective at even max dosage. We think weaning her may help - PROBLEM: any suggestions on doing this, when she won't go to sleep WITHOUT nursing? Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Nicholas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:40 pm 

WARNING: AMATEUR OPINIONS BELOW

My daughter was a crappy sleeper for a long time, so I know a few tricks. But .. not every kid is the same. That said .. it sounds like she's got a heavy association of nursing to sleep. I would think it gets tougher to break as they get older, because they're a lot more aware and more able to manipulate you to get what they want. So, I wouldn't wait too much longer. I'm not going to tell you to wean her, because you may not want to. However, it sounds like you really need to break that sleep association. Do you have a bedtime routine? Does she ever fall asleep without nursing? I always suggest to folks who have horrid sleepers to make sure you do the same thing every night at bedtime, and once the kid is past .. say .. 6-9 months, that something shouldn't center around feeding. We had to do this with my girl. If your wife wants to nurse her, and she always falls asleep on the mother's milk machine, then wake her up gently before you put her down. Maybe you could even wake her up and read her a book or something. You don't have to. Just make sure she's at least partially awake when she is put into bed.

Once you've established a routine at bedtime, DON'T nurse or bottle her back to sleep when she wakes up. It may take a lot of willpower and a lot of screaming, but it's for her own good. Eventually she'll learn to put herself back to sleep and learn that mommy is NOT coming in to take care of it for her.

Another tip is to play calm music all night long. Use the same CD on repeat every night. She'll learn that when she hears that music it's bedtime, and when she wakes up (theoretically) she'll know it's still bedtime.

I could be making some very wrong assumptions here. If I am .. ignore this post.