Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sleepy eater
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:29 am 

Hi there, I'm new here.

My little girl is just over 3 weeks old and we have big problems when feeding her. She usually falls asleep when feeding and it takes us atleast an hour to get her to finish even 5ml of her bottle. We then put her down and not 10 minutes later she wakes up screaming because she is hungry. This cannot go on - it seems the entire day/evening is spent feeding her and then the battle begins to get her to stay asleep after her bottle is finished...eventually. She does not seem to like sleep that much, atleast not sleep in her crib - she falls asleep pretty well in my arms after we have fed her and winded her but when we put her down she wakes up a few minutes later crying. I have tried putting her down in something other than her crib, thinking that maybe she does not like it but this has not helped matters.
Hoping you can help

Kaitlyns mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:11 pm 

Hi again,

Try stroking the side of her face if she seems like she is nodding off, or gently jiggle her on your lap to try and keep her awake. A friend of mine used to gently tickle the bottom of her daughter's bare feet to keep her awake during feedings.
Have you tried putting your daughter to sleep in a bassinet? We tried my son in the crib when he was a baby but he did not like it, so we bought a gently used bassinet which he slept in for 3 months until he outgrew it.
Also try swaddling her with a receiving blanket when you are putting her to bed......she may find it comforting........you could at least try it.
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:46 pm 

Hello

I have tried everything you mentioned - my husband has even started to blow in her face when she nods off and that doesn't even work - she's determined to make the feed as long as possible for us. It's pure torture to have to sit and feed a baby for over 2 hours and then when the feeding is over she is wide awake and refuses to sleep. I have to then spend an extra hour holding her before she falls asleep.

thanks for the advice anyway

Kaitlyns tired mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:50 am 

That's just how some babies are. One thing you could try is not to hold her close to you. Hold her out away from your body, that way she doesn't feel all snuggled and warm. That's what was suggested to us. Although it didn't really work either. Babies that small want and need to be held a lot. Enjoy the time you spend holding and feeding her. They're only small once and they grow up so fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:38 pm 

Hi Tired Mommy
Please don't give up, keep trying...her tummy is so very small she feels full, just keep trying everything you can. I hope you have some help. You need to sleep. Don't worry this stage will pass quickly, she'll outgrow it very fast. Blessings to you both!