Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speech question?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:27 pm 

My question is how clearly were your children talking at 27 months?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:58 pm 

Hi,

With my son who is 26 mos. old, I would say we understand about 90 % of what he says, although sometimes I find it very difficult to understand some words and his word for "water" is a word he has totally made up on his own.
To a person who didn't know him, I would say they may only understand 50% of what he says.
He has a very extensive vocabulary, repeats words that we say, and is forming 3 and 4 word sentences so his doctor said not to worry.

One thing he is having trouble with is pronouncing the letter "Y", instead of saying "yes", he will say "nes", but prefers to say "ok" if I ask if him a question.....he just finds it easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:21 am 

My son is 28 months old. He talks up a storm...I can understand him most of the time, but DH has a lot of trouble understanding him! I have to interpret a lot!! LOL!! But he is also putting sentences together, so I am not worried about his speech. It seems to get better and better every day. My son also has his own words for things such as "rooster" is "ookoo! Go figure!! He used to call our dog "Abisay"... her name is Lulu!! He now calls her "NuNu!" So he is getting close!! I believe it is true that all children develop at their own pace and your child's speech will continue to get better too!! I have read that when they mispronounce words, you are supposed to encourage them by saying something like "yes...that's water!"

Best of luck!!

Hugs,

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:58 pm 

I could tell you, but I doubt it would do a lot of good to describe my daughter. She's 2.5 years old and talks incredibly well. We never have a problem understanding her.. However, she's behind the curve in other areas. I'm guessing the reason you're asking is that you're concerned your child isn't talking well enough. Keep in mind that every child is different and matures and learns at different rates. If you're concerned that your child may be developmentally delayed, talk to your pediatrician.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:00 am 

Oh, I'm not terribly concerned because she does talk a lot and has great comprehension. Services are free until 3yrs old so I was debating if I should take advantage of it. She really can't say a lot of sounds/letters, except for words she uses daily/regularly. For example she says 'mama' but if you ask her to repeat any other 'M' word she can't/doesn't pronounce the 'm' or the whole word for that matter. She repeats what you ask her to say but it sounds nothing close to the word. I'm guessing if she is talking, even unintelligably, then she should be understandable one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:31 pm 

Hi,

I agree with what you said in the last part of your post. As long as she is repeating what you say, even if it is for the most part difficult to understand and she is hearing you say the word the correct way, then it will only be a matter of time before she starts pronuncing letters/words correctly.

My son calls water "money" Go figure?? He calls our cat "WaWa", the cat's name is Lucky. But I know he can pronounce the "wa" sound but does not use that sound to say the word "water". :?: Also when he says "thank you" he does not pronounce the the "k" at all, so it comes out sounding like "Than you" and there are lots of other words/phrases that are for the most part intelligible but it can be frustrating for him sometimes.

I was also going to mention that I have been reading to my son since he was a few weeks old and still do read to him everyday if possible, and I always try to repeat words he says his own way correctly so that he can learn the correct pronunciation.