Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:13 am 

Okay, I hate to sound vain here, but I'm a little worried. I'm very small - only 5'1 and 96 pounds. So not only am I really short, I have a very small frame. I'm 21 years old and I get told all the time that I look 14. (I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of nasty looks from older people once I really start showing!) Needless to say, I'm worried about stretch marks and weight gain. Well, not so much weight gain as weight loss after I have the baby.

As far as stretch marks go, I've read that that's somewhat hereditary? i.e. If your mom had them, most likely you will too. Is that true? My mom only had one teeny-tiny little microscopic mark on the back of her thigh, right under her rear. :p And a couple super small ones on her breasts. Actually most of the women in my family have been the same way. My cousin (who is only 5'2 but of a bigger build than me) just had a baby a couple years ago and had no stretch marks whatsoever. Unfortunately, I'm quite a bit smaller than most of the women in my family. None are very tall, but they all have a more average build, whereas I have a very small build. Is there a huge chance I'll get stretch marks?

Also, I had previously read that it's the collagen and elastin, and Vitamin E in lotions that are good for stretch marks. So I bought some Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks (with Vitamin E, Collagen & Elastin). But now, reading through some past posts on this board, I see that many of the women on here have just used the regular Cocoa Butter. I have an old tub of Palmer's Cocoa Butter and it doesn't contain any of those other stretch mark battling ingredients. So which is better? Regular Cocoa Butter, or the stuff I have? I also have some St. Ives Collagen Elastin lotion, and some Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E (w/collagen and elastin) cream that I alternate with. And Palmer's also has a massage oil to fight stretch marks that I plan on getting as soon as I start popping out a little more.

Okay now on to weight loss. As I said before, I'm very small, and I'm pretty much sure that I'm gonna have to have a c-section. I've heard that it's harder to lose the weight after having one of those, opposed to a regular vaginal delivery. Is it impossible, though? Again, I don't mean to sound vain, but I've always been in very good shape, and my stomach has been my pride and joy. LOL :p Very toned. Will it be possible to get it at least close to that again eventually? Of course I'm willing to work really hard at it.

Having said all this, of course my main concern is that my baby is healthy! These are just afterthoughts... I'm sure that even if I do get stretch marks and/or I don't lose all the weight, my baby will be more than worth it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:37 am 

Hi There :lol:

First of all ***C*o*N*g*R*a*T*u*L*a*T*i*O*n*S*** on your pregnancy!

Now, RELAX!!! :lol: Like you have said you have always been in good shape, so there is no reason to believe that you won't be able to get your pre-pregnancy body back. It may take a while, but you have also mentioned that you are willing to work hard at it, so you will get there! :wink:

Just enjoy your pregnancy - with all the changes that go along with it. It goes by so quickly.

Love Lopke
(Who wishes she still had her pregnant belly) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:24 am 

My sister was 120 and 5' 7" before her baby and the same after. She got her exact body back!! It is different for everyone but don't stress out. If your willing to work at it, it will probably come easier!

Post subject: It all depends
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:36 am 

If you've always been in shape and stay that way during pregnancy then returning to shape afterwards should be reasonable. But..........it doesn't happen overnight. When you leave the hospital you will still look 6-7 months pregnant because your uterus hasn't shrunk. As far as vaginal being easier to lose weight as opposed to c-section I would say thery are about the same depending on how it goes!

With vaginal you can have an episiotomy and tearing which can make exercising harder. A c-section and your not going to be up and about as quickly. As far as stretch marks it is supposed to be herditary but if you gain alot of weight quickly you can still get them. Drink lots of water and moisturize your skin after each shower or bath and at night. Best of Luck!

Kerri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:08 am 

I have loads of streach marks im on my 3rd baby and i dont look 25 weeks pregrannt I never get big which i find easier to lose after the baby is born.

All woman are differant and some do get realy big and others dont.