Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:26 pm 

Hi everybody,

1. How early in the pregnancy can I expect first signs of strech marks? I am in my 24th and so far nothing.

2. I was reading many things on stretch marks and of course except for product- pushing manufacturers who swear by them other sourses say that nothing really works for stretch marks. If you are to get them you will, if not than you wont. They also suggest that if those who claim that the different crams and other alike are so helpful all they would need to do is to apply few voluntairs to half of their tummies and half to leave intact. True of the matter is that supposedly the untreated half would behave just exactly the same. That is confusing because so many people believe in some miracle creams anyway.

3. so .. could you ladies share with me if anybody tried this method to see if any of this stuff helps? trying it on only parts of the body?

4. what of the methods do you believe most effective if I would like to try anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:38 pm 

Hi Cpay
I have heard that if your mother has stretch marks you will get them too. It is all hereditary. This is true for me. My stomach looks horrible. I was really freaking out for awhile. I treid using lotion everynight but it didn't seem to help, but it wasn't any fancy creams or anything. Just lotion to keep myself moisturized. I figured there was no stopping them. I did feel a little better though when my mom showed me where hers were and they are so faded and white you can barley see them.
If you do find something that works though make sure you let us all know!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:43 pm 
I did not get stretch marks on my belly (my mother did not either) and I had my husband rub stretch mark lotion on me every night. Now after Lily was born I noticed stretch marks on by butt and my breasts. But never any belly stretch marks thank goodness :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:42 pm 

There's nothing that works, no matter what anyone says.

My first ones appeared around 32-33 weeks. It's nothing I've really worried about. Eventually they'll fade. Plus who am I going to be showing off my belly to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:21 pm 
Well it worked for me because my belly is and was stretch mark free :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:28 pm 

true stretch marks will appear if they want regardless of what you use...but i found taht using that palmers cocoa butter makes my skin stay moisturized alot better than regular lotion...i do have some stretch marks on my breasts and on one side by a hip going to the butt....and i'm only 18 and i'm getting them..so i'm trying not to freak out too much...i've seen my moms stomach and she's had 2 kids and she was big with both of us and she doesn't have any marks on her stomahc..so they do go away....anyways....hope that helped a little....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:03 pm 

Whether you will get stretch marks or not all depends on the elasticity of your skin...it's as simple as that.
You may never get them. It doesn't hurt to use some sort of mosturizer but don't think that using a mosturizer can definitely prevent you from getting them because it won't.
I used Palmer's cocoa butter everyday for most of my pregnancy and I never got one stretchmark anywhere on my stomach.
Towards the end of your pregnancy when your belly gets really big and your skin is stretched really tight, you may find your belly will get really itchy (mine did), and the cream will really help ease the itch. That's what it's really great for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:32 pm 

Too funny Maryam. I agree, I'm not worried about mine either cause no ones seeing my belly either. They're my battle scars and remind me of my little miracles. :) My belly became a roadmap with my 2nd and is starting to look a bit better. I don't think anything really helps no matter how much someone claims it does. If your 'blessed' to get them then your going to get them. Some people don't get any-must be nice. I don't think someone is going to worry about or take the time to 'do a study' on themselves by putting creams on certain parts of their bodies. There are more important things to think about in my opinion. Second I think you read a little too much and should relax and enjoy your preg..JMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:48 am 

LOL momof2! No kidding! I was blessed BIG TIME! And God'sgift I am only 18 too :( I think that if youre going to get them, youre going to get them. Period. There is nothing you can do about it. I put a cream with goats milk, honey and cocoa butter in it on my belly, hips, breasts, butt and thighs, after every shower and guess what? I have TERRIBLE stretch marks in ALL of those places! It sucks but what can you do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:08 pm 

It's true , if your going to get them your going to get them. I was 16 with my oldest son and got terrible marks, my ex-husband refered to them as my Freddy Kruger slash marks. I had about 5 on each side of my belly running down from just under my breasts to my navel, they were wide and purple!!!. None on my breasts, hips, or butt. I tried everything and to this day they are still visable (12 years later, although no longer purple)! :sigh: I now also have some on my chest from my last pregnancy. If its going to happen it will !!!

good luck to yall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:19 pm 

i was stretchmark free until i was in my 41st wk. then he decided it was time to drop, and all hell broke loose. i woke up the next morning with one stretchmark on the right side of my tummy... and looked like a mutant zebra before the night was through! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:18 am 
Hello Cypay, Though i dont have a first hand experience in this, I have heard from my mom and cousins that castor oil helps really. U shd be applying it right away - ie with ur stretch marks yet to show up. Continue it till delivery. I guess it works.
How are u doing otherwise?
Good luck
Cheers
Kisha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:49 am 

I have them , but i dont mind they are marks of love and proof of me carrying a child that will be memories to hold on too, if i didnt have any stretch marks what would i hold on to , to remember i had a nice round belly once.....thats what i think of it, i used the stretch marks creams etc and nothing worked for me , but hey thats life! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:22 am 

My mother had terrible stretch marks all on her belly, her hips everywhere. I have no stretch marks anywhere to be seen on my belly, but I did get small ones on my breasts, which are faded.. but I hear are more visible when you stop breastfeeding... I have a few on my butt that I don't like, but I like that if I go to the beach, noone can see them. I used the cocoa butter once or twice.. I doubt that made a difference... it can't be hereditary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:18 pm 

It most likely is hereditary, but keep in mind that we don't just inherit things from our mothers. Half of our genes are from our fathers.