Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SUV or Minivan???
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:45 am 

For the Parents of two out there, which vehincle do you have, a minivan or an SUV?
I bought a Mitsubishi Eclipse in October and just found out my husband and I are expecting our second child in September. So I will need to trade my car in and I don't know what I want. Can you tell me which one you will rather. I would feel weird driving a minivan because I am only 20 years old but I would get over it. I just need some opinions of which one is more convenient. Any response will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Maya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:59 pm 

I am 20 years old and I don't have a minivan, but that's what I want when the time comes. I can't justify getting an SUV. I prefer a minivan because of the room and the comfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:39 am 

Personally, I've done the SUV thing with friends and currently have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan and I would take the minivan hands down. Especially if you can afford to do the fold-and-go seats and DVD player. It makes getting the kids to and from places a breeze and rearranging for unexpected or even expected cargo additions a snap! I am a small woman (about 5'4") and I can put the seats down in about 5 seconds per seat with extreme ease and they fold completely flat into the floor. Great when adding play pens and strollers or toys for the older one. My boys are 2 and 4 and they spend a lot of time in our van because we do frequent traveling to see family which is an hour away. Between the ease of carrying additional items to and from and the bliss from the peace when they watch a movie, I am thoroughly happy with our purchase and we have had ours about a year now! Ironically, my husband and I swore we would never have one when we first got married at about your age. He was adamant! But he was the one that turned around first and said we had to have one to make our lives easier and the 2005 Dodge/Chrysler version was what finally had us sold. One added note...if you can also get remote control for the dual side doors, it makes it really nice for full hands (like with a carrier). :) Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:15 am 

I am a proud flag waving minivan mom! If I was given a brand new SUV, I'd sell it for a used minivan any day! There is SO much more interior room in my Dodge caravan then my sister's seven passenger durango. I'm 6 feet tall, and I can easily maneuver inside my van. The ONLY draw back is no 4 wheel drive, although many new minivans had all wheel drive. Better on gas, more comfortable, more features!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:12 am 

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will definitely go with a minivan. It seems to be way more practical when you have little ones than a SUV. :lol: So thank you for making my decision that much easier.
Maya :wink: