Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TANNING while pregnant
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:44 pm 

This is more of an informative post, rather than a question. I saw a post, and I couldn't figure out how to reply to it...LOL

Well, TANNING while you are pregnant is COMPLETELY safe. I am the manager at a tanning salon. One of my girls did some research after a guest came in and put her account on a "maternity freeze." The internet information she came across was as follows:

The UV rays of a tanning bed are not even close to the nuking waves that radiation is. The strongest bed (that we have) only goes through THREE layers of skin. There are SEVEN layers total. So, if it did by some change reach the uterus, it would have to penatrate 7 layers of skin, the uterus wall, and the amniotic fluid.

The only Cons:

1.) Laying on your back while pregnant puts pressure on a part of the spinal cord that causes nausea.
2.) The heat. You should not go any longer than 10 minutes.
3.) Dehydration. Just make sure you drink plenty of water before and after you finish.

I found out I was pregnant and quit tanning immediately. Being the tanning fanatic that I am (I know it is sad) I wanted to tan so badly. Of course I was under the impression that you could not tan while pregnant because it could harm the baby. Well, I told my mom about it, she yelled and said that she would turn the place in if they let me tan. She advised me to speak to my Doctor first. I did. AND HE SAID IT WAS PERFECTLY SAFE. (Although there are NO studies, because no one is going to purposely endanger their childs life for studies...but that given the information that we know about, it does seem impossible that the waves would reach your uterus.) I also consulted other tanning salon managers, and they said the same thing. IT IS SAFE. And while I was cleaning out my back room, I found a package about tanning while pregnant given out by Smart Tan (Certification that every tanning salon must go through in America) and , it too said that tanning while pregnant was completely safe.

I just wanted to let everyone know. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:16 am 

What do you think about self tanning lotions? I've heard kind of the same thing. No actuall studies, but most shouldn't penetrate but top couple layers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:47 pm 

Hi,

I've never been to a tannig salon myself, but I did find when I was pregnant my skin was a little more sensitive to the sun. I just made sure I wore sunscreen with a SPF of at least 30. Studies may not show tanning being harmful to your baby, but what about yourself??

Doesn't premature wrinkles, and melanoma scare the hell out of you?
I know people that have developed beneign skin cancers and have had them removed and I've seen 40 year olds that look about 60 because of years of sun exposure. A good sunscreen will do a lot to protect your skin but does not guarantee you that you will not develop a skin cancer 20 years down the road or damage your skin somewhat.

It's important to be informed and educated before making a decision with regards to tanning while pregnant and while not.
Here is a website informing you of the dangers of tanning beds:
http://www.healthwatcher.net/ISCAN/index.html

This is a Canadian site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:49 pm 

Mom of 2: The self tanners are completely safe. My doctor told me that I could do them as well, and be perfectly safe. However, there are problems with self tanners. The mystic tan (the booths) must be kept up with. They say 7-10 days, but you must be able to afford, or find time, to get it done at least once a week. It starts to peel off, which in turn, looks like a disease. It can streak.

Nikki: To tell you the truth, tanning beds these days (assuming the salon has the newest versions) are safer than the actual sunlight. They have a 2% UV ray as opposed to the 4% outside. (You chances are cut 50% of getting skin cancer by simpy using a tanning bed, rather than laying outside) It doesn't really scare me to get the things that studies say CAN happen if you tan. I do not burn. That is the leading cause of skin cancer. Because it destroys the skin cells. Leading to cancer. (Of course it is still possible to not burn and get skin cancer) I am not usually outside, that is why I use a tanning bed. I just cannot find the time to lay out for a few hours these days. *sighs* :) But, to answer your question. The tanning bed does not scare me. :)

Post subject: tanning
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:28 am 

WOW I would have never guessed you could tan while pregnant that is crazy thank you so much for informing me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:31 am 

Yes TANNING while pregnant is completly safe. Tanning beds only speed up the process of sitting out in the sun.(ex.20 minutes in the bed is quicker then 4 hours outside). If pregnant women couldn't use tanning beds, then they shouldn't be advised to go outside in the sun either! I tanned while I was pregnant and I have also asked several tanning bed employees and all my doctors and they said that it is safe. They only advised me to stop when I felt too hot or my back started to hurt. I like the stand up beds when I was pregnant. I didn't have to lay down for 20 minutes. I could stand up and listen to music on head phones.