Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Teaching and pregnancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:35 pm 

Hello!
Are there any m2b's out there that are also teachers?
If so, please send any advice this way.

How do you deal with morning sickness and still teach!?!?

One co-worker said she just placed a trash can outside her classroom door and used it when necessary. I just can't see myself doing that in front of my class...

=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:39 am 

I just found out I was pregnant in June when I was filling out applications to teach (I just got my credential in May). So I decided not to teach this year because I was scared of the things you were talking about. So this year we are just going to be frugal but we can survive off my husband's salary and then next year I can look for a teaching position. But I don't know what I would to in your shoes. Teaching is so demanding and an active job, there really is no down time. Maybe just try and give them independent work when you can so you can get some downtime or rest. I wouldn't know what to do about the morning sickness though!! Sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:43 pm 

I taught preschool up until mid-August (the begginning of my 3rd trimester). If you have staff to support you then I think you'll be ok. You may not have to throw up (I never did) but you will need to go potty a lot. So, you'll need to have someone who can watch the class then (right? or are you allowed to leave them? I only know how it is for preschool). It all depends on you and how you feel. Be aware that you'll probably have to miss some days due to sickness or just plain fatigue. And thats ok! Don't feel guilty!! Remember, we're growing human beings here!!! :) We deserve credit for that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:50 pm 

Thanks for your support! =)
I teach 5th grade, so we are not supposed to leave them unsupervised. I do work with a great staff, so I think things will be ok.