Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Teething???
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:59 am 

My baby has had a low grade fever for 6 days now and has the raised places on both of his front teeth. He is very cranky and irritable. How long after the fever and crankiness do teeth ususally appear? They are obviously on their way by the looks of his mouth, but we keep hoping and they aren't showing up! I am a 1st time Mom si I have no idea about this stuff!

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:08 am 

If he has a fever and cranky, maybe he has an ear infection. I've never seen a child have a fever just because of teething. The body has a fever because it is usually fighting a virus or infection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:43 pm 

Hi,

As mentioned above, the fever may be related to something else. My son never had a fever when cutting teeth, but he was very irritable and cranky. Also the gums are sometimes swollen for months, before the teeth actually come in. How old is your son??

You should take your son to the doctor and find out why he has had this low grade fever so long.
In the meantime, you can give him children's Tylenol to bring the fever down (check with your pharmacist ) and this will also help with teething pain.

Something I used to do for my son when he was experiencing teething pain was I would wet some of his clean baby facecloths with water and put them in the freezer for about an hour. He really liked to chew and suck on them and it helped ease the discomfort.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:57 am 

My 9 month old had a low grade fever when her first teeth were starting to come in, but only for a couple of days. And it was a couple of weeks still before the 2 bottom teeth actually broke through the skin. Maybe the fever at that time was related to something else and I didn't know it. I gave her some infant Tylenol a coupla of times a day and she was fine.
Terri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:16 pm 

Thank you for your replies and ideas...

We've been to the dr - once for his 6 month shots - and no fever. That night we ended up at the hospital because his fever was so high. His white blood count was up a little, so they gave him an antibiotic and told us to keep giving tylenol or motrin. We then went back to the regular dr on Tuesday cause he still has a low grade fever and they checked him, said he looked perfect (no ear or urine problems), blood count was back to normal, but his two teeth were defenitely coming in. So we're pretty sure it's his teeth. All of my neices ran a low grade temp with their teeth and my mom says that I did, too. I was just worried of how long this could take...he's not as cranky now, but he chews so aggressively and cries when he bites down sometimes. He's drooled and chewed for months now, but now it's ten times as bad! I wish I could do it for him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:31 pm 

I hope he feels better soon!! My daughter is almost 9 mths and cutting 2 teeth as we speak she had a LOW LOW grade fever one day and that was it.. i'd get him checked out.