Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:57 am 

Technology is a wonderful thing, and the internet is a great resource. Unfortunately neither has progressed to the point of being able to diagnose pregnancy. It is understandable that you are worried, but the only advice we can give for you is to take a test. You can either do this by picking up a home pregnancy test or going to your doctor or local clinic.

What are some of the symptoms of pregnancy?
Missed period
Nausea
Sore, tender breasts or nipples
Lack of energy
Change of appetite
Feeling bloated
Becoming moody

Please note that a lot of these symptoms are also signs that your period may be coming.

How can I tell for sure if I'm pregnant?
The only way to know is to test. There are two different types of tests. The most common is the urine test. You can do this one on your own. Simply pick up a home pregnancy test and follow the instructions on the box. You can find these at any local drug store or places like Wal-Mart or even the Dollar Store. They are normally located in the same aisle as condoms.

The other type of test is a blood test. This is done by a doctor. It is extremely accurate.

When should I test?
You can test as early as up to five days before your period is suppose to start. Keep in mind though that the earlier you test, the more likely you are going to get a false negetive. It is often best to wait until at least the day that you expect to get your period.

If your period is irregular and you don't know when to expect it a good rule of thumb to go by is to test about two weeks after you think you might have conceived.

Do I have to use first of the morning urine?
Most tests recommend that you do because it contains the highest concentration of HCG (a hormone released when you are pregnant). While waiting until morning would give you the most accurate results, you can test any time of day. Make sure that it has been about four hours since the last time you used the bathroom. That way the HCG is a bit more concentrated and you get a better result.

It came out negetive, but I still haven't gotten my period
There is a chance that you may be pregnant but the HCG level isn't high enough to detect. Wait a week and test again. If the tests continue to turn out negetive and you still haven't gotten your period call your doctor. There could be something else wrong.

I see a line, but it's really faint. Does this mean I'm pregnant?
Yes. Any line, no matter how light it is means that you are pregnant. If you are unsure about the results, wait a few days and take another test or go to your local clinic and have them run a test.

A good source to look to is http://www.plannedparenthood.org if you still have any questions.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]