Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:01 am 

My doctor told my husband and myself to put cereal in our daughter's baba's. She was only two months when he did that. She was under weight all little. But she was spiting up. And still is. But is gaining alot of wieght. And my mother-n-law told us to give her some apple juice and water together. I put an once of apple juice and 8 onces of water. Should I do that? She is having a hard time pooping. And I don't like to see her in pain. Now she won't take the cereal baba's. I tried to give her one today and she kept spiting put the milk. What should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:14 pm 

Babies under 4-6 months should have NOTHING but breast milk/formula. They make thickened formula especially for babies who spit up, you could try that. Giving solids to a baby under 4 months at the YOUNGEST can cause SERIOUS and painfull problems later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:18 am 

But her doctor told us to. And my sister who has a three year old asked why he did that. And I don't know why. We stopped giving her cereal in her babas. Is that a good thing? She is hungry all the time. So we try not to give her alot. She eats 6-8 ounces and then up to an hour later she wants more. We cannot find the formula you are talking about. I live in a small town and all we have is a walgreens and a walmart. not much of a choice. I have another a question. Is bad to have to change her doctor which is also my doctor. We only have one doctor. And now my husbands insurance at work is changing. And it starts on the first of October. I don't want to have to find three doctors. What should we do? I only work two days now. Not by choice. My work is cutting down on how many hours we get. Should I find another job and keep the one I have on the weekends. Or find a new all together. Because I will be working 7 days a week and no day off. This is hard on me. A new mom and my family doesn't live around me. Only my husbands family does. And his mom and grandma does not get along. So I don't know who to go to. My mom never had kids. Her and my dad adopted me and one of my sister's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:06 pm 

Hannah's Mommy wrote:
Babies under 4-6 months should have NOTHING but breast milk/formula. They make thickened formula especially for babies who spit up, you could try that. Giving solids to a baby under 4 months at the YOUNGEST can cause SERIOUS and painfull problems later on.

I dont personally agree. I have 4 kids that all ate food and cereal early on. As for the juice and water it will help her to to the bathroom just dont give her too much it nmight run through it. I would say half and half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm 

my3sons3 wrote:
Hannah's Mommy wrote:

I dont personally agree. I have 4 kids that all ate food and cereal early on. As for the juice and water it will help her to to the bathroom just dont give her too much it nmight run through it. I would say half and half.

Sure not every kid has problems from starting solids around or before 4 mos, but there is a chance that they might, and it is worth preventing. Doctors dont make guidelines/reccomendations for fun, they say to wait untill 6 months now, and there is a good reason. Childern can develop painful and potentially serious problems from starting solids before their little stomachs are ready for it. When my daughter was a baby they were still saying 4 mos was ok to start solids, but Hannah has had some pretty painfull problems since, and soon after they changed the reccomendation from 4 to 6 mos. TRUST ME you do not want to have to watch your child go through that much pain. It wont kill you (or the baby) to wait a couple of months. And if it could prevent potential pain to your child, then why not?

The juice should be alright in very small amounts by 2-3 mos, only when necessary. It'll only give them a tummyache at worst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:15 am 

Our doctor told us to go ahead and start on baby food. Because my daughter eats anywhere between 16-48 ounces a day. We go through a 25.7 onuce can of formula in a week. So he said to start her out light. And then I added fruit. She eats almost all of the cereal and fruit that I give her. But when she is six months we see a different ped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:20 pm 

tifa wrote:
Our doctor told us to go ahead and start on baby food. Because my daughter eats anywhere between 16-48 ounces a day. We go through a 25.7 onuce can of formula in a week. So he said to start her out light. And then I added fruit. She eats almost all of the cereal and fruit that I give her. But when she is six months we see a different ped.

Some doctors still follow the "old ways" from either ignorance, stubborness or what have you. You should look it up, do some research for yourself. I really hope your baby doesnt have any problems resulting from this poor thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:13 pm 

Now my daughter is seven months and she eats three things of baby food. She will eat vegetable beef or something like that, then she will eat a thing of vegetables and a thing of fruit. And sometimes a thing of desert. And she will have a bottle still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:56 am 

All babies are different. The reason for most of the food restrictions is due to the babies underdeveloped digestive system. Some babies are more developed or develop much quicker than the norm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 pm 

Now my daughter is going on 17 months. I haven't been on much since they have me working six days a week. I am on five swing shifts and one day shift. She is eating all the time. I read somewhere that toddlers should eat 5 to 6 times a day. And she eats over that amount. She has been walking since she was eight or nine months old. She started to talk rigtht around that time too. And at 15 months she started to potty train. She goes into the bathroom all by herself takes off her diaper and put it in the trash can in there and sits on her potty. Her ped. wants her off the bottle by 18 months. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. She will not go to sleep unless she has a baba. She will take the sippy cup during the day but not at nap time or bed time. And she is sleeping in her toddler bed. She loves it. But sometimes she will wake up and climb into my bed with us. We allow it because she sleeps more than half the night in her bed. I have tried to put my daughter on a shedul but my husband wont stand by it. He won't give her a bath at night. He says "Daddy's shouldn't be giving their little girls a bath". My dad still gives his granddaughter a bath sometimes and helps her into her pj's. And she is almost four and half. How can I get her to stop taking a bottle and a binky. She keeps biting them and I am afraid that one day they will break and she will choke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:55 pm 

Quote:
How can I get her to stop taking a bottle and a binky.

You just take them away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:17 pm 

My son is going to be 4 mnths in another week. He has been getting rice cereal mixed in with his formula over a month now. They thought he had reflux so they said the rice cereal might help. Come to find out he possibly doesn't have reflux. He went for a test and everything seemed to look just fine. The formula alone just wasn't satisfying him alone. The rice cereal only has a few calories per teaspoon so it's not like he's going to gain massive amounts of weight from it. It seems to stay with him longer than just the formula. I do agree that each baby is different. My doctor also told us to mix pear juice and water if he does become constipated. I'm not sure if we should give it to him now because he seems to grunt a lot while trying to go or if we should just wait to see if he does become constipated. I would hate to even have him get to that point. I'm sure it's painful. Had it once with pregnancy and it was worse than the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:29 am 

You could give food to your baby as early as 4 months but make sure that this foods would not do harm to your baby's digestive system because some food does not easily digest. I know that you know some food that does not easily digest or ask your doctor about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:48 am 

tifa wrote:
My doctor told my husband and myself to put cereal in our daughter's baba's. She was only two months when he did that. She was under weight all little. But she was spiting up. And still is. But is gaining alot of wieght. And my mother-n-law told us to give her some apple juice and water together. I put an once of apple juice and 8 onces of water. Should I do that? She is having a hard time pooping. And I don't like to see her in pain. Now she won't take the cereal baba's. I tried to give her one today and she kept spiting put the milk. What should I do?

It also depends on the digestive system of a child. Whether he is able to intake solid food or not. Here are some important resources for dads of three month old - http://www.greatdad.com/category/340/3-months.html