Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:58 pm 

My family is driving for six hours (well, that's what it would be with two adults) to go to the beach this weekend. We'll be there all week. My 2.5-month-old son is NOT the type of baby that falls asleep and stays that way in the car .. unfortunately. He'll sleep there, but not for long periods of time. We're planning to leave at about 3am in the hope that he and my two-year-old daughter will sleep for much of the drive. Do you have any other tips for keeping the baby happy on the drive up and back? The two-year-old will get copious amounts of Dora and Nemo on the portable DVD player if she's awake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:30 pm 

We just traveled to Sevierville, Tenn from Perrysburg, Oh. It would usually take us 8 hours, well with our 2 month old it took us 11 hours. He was very impatient. The longest we drove without stopping was 2 and half hours. With our 3 yr old we have a portable DVD and that is such a life saver with her. Of course she has "always" been a great traveler. I don't think there is much you can do cause they are so limited on what's entertaining to them. I sat back with him and had rattling toys, flashing light toys, bright colors, music and lots of facial expressions. The music and facials were the most entertaining to him.

Good Luck!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:16 pm 

I keep remembering a trip my wife and I took with my daughter when she was 3 months old. It should have taken 4.5 hours but it took nine. I'm absolutely dreading this drive. Unfortunately my son is the type of baby that will not take a pacifier and wants to be walked at all times. I suspect I'm going to be listening to a lot of screaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:11 pm 

I guess you or your wife (whoever is not driving at the time), could sit back there with him and try to occupy him with some toys. My son had a travelling mobile that you could attach to different things with velcro.
The best thing you could hope for is that he sleeps most of the ride.
Or how about a cd with some relaxing music....my son used to like Norah Jones.

Good luck :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:01 pm 

Nikki wrote:
Or how about a cd with some relaxing music....my son used to like Norah Jones.

We are going to try that. We have bedtime music we've used on both of them. The problem is that it's likely to put ME to sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:42 pm 

I went through the same thing. My son will not take a pacifier and loves to be walked around. When he's in a car he does not sleep much at all.
We are actually leaving Sun to go back to Ohio from Tenn. so we'll see how this pans out. Driving with him to places seems like it might a little bit bettr than on our way out here.
Well good luck!! :D