Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Toddler bed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:25 am 

At what age did you put your child into a toddler or "big kid bed"? And did anyone have problems getting their child to stay in it? If so, what did you do about it?
My daughter is almost 18 months and I just know she would not stay put in a bed she wasn't confined in! She'll probably stay in the crib till she's 3 if she hasn't figured out how to climb out of it by then!!! Just kidding!
I'm just checking about this for down the road. We've got another on the way and I'd really rather not have to buy a second crib, but I will if it means that's what it takes to get the first to keep sleeping so well.
Thanks!
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:31 am 

Mikey went into a big boy bed at 18 months. It was young but we needed the crib. We made a big deal about making his room a big boy room and at first we only did naps until he was comfortable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:45 pm 

Alex just went into a "big boy bed".....it's actually a first mate's/captain's bed...not a toddler bed about three weeks ago and he will be 2 1/2 next month. But we did not have to rush him because we didn't have a 2nd one on the way.
He never tried climbing out of his crib, only right at the end right before we got his new bed.
He's fallen out of the new bed a few times so I just put my exercise mat and pillows on the floor beside the bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:51 pm 

Nikki-did have you had problems getting him to STAY in the bed when you put him down to sleep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:34 pm 

Actually, believe it or not, Alex loved his new bed and new car sheets and comforter and for the first couple of weeks he stayed in his bed and slept better than he ever did in his crib. He would not even try to get out.
Unfortunately, last week he got sick with a bad cold and is still a little sick so he has wanted me to lay in his bed with him until he falls asleep for naps and at bedtime which has been difficult and tiring for me and he's gotten out of his bed a few times now when he doesn't want to sleep.

I'm hoping this is just something he's going through now because he's sick. It definitely is more challenging once they are out of the crib because now you have to figure out how you're going to get them to stay in bed. If Alex is tired enough, it's usually not a problem but we have had the odd night where he will come out several times and we just keep putting him back and tell him it's bedtime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:14 pm 

We put Hannah in her big girl bed just before her second birthday. She didn't have too much trouble with the transition. She cried at bedtime for the first day, but after that she loved it. We talked it up a LOT in the weeks before it was delivered. She didn't realize she could get out at bedtime or naptime for a week or so. After that you just have to accept that they're going to get out of bed, so make sure the room is babyproofed well. She even fell asleep on the floor a couple of times at naptime ... pretty funny when we poked our heads in there and she was splayed out among a pile of toys. We always keep her door closed at night or when she's napping. We did for a while give her a little prize if she was in bed at the end of naptime .. like a sticker or something. That helped establish a good habit at least.

A side note -- I would recommend against a toddler bed unless you have a crib that converts to one. If you buy a toddler bed you're just going to have to buy a bigger bed in a couple of years. Just get a single bed, put it against the wall, and buy the rails that slip under the mattress for the other side. Hannah has never fallen out, despite her best efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:06 pm 

Mikey's in a captains bed too and like hannah it took him abut a week to figure he could get out. But we have the gates in front of there bedroom doors. I don't like the cat going in there so it keeps her out. Plus Mikey's door is right by the stairway. I am afraid at night it would be dark and he would get confused. So he would just stand by the gate and we would just put him back in. But we really built up the idea of a bed. And whenever anyone came over they asked to see his room where his bed is going into. And it's againest the wall and we have the safety rail on the other side. I always thought the toddler beds were a waste of money too. You will get at most two years out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:02 pm 

Another thing -- we've stopped calling the time at midday when she goes up to her room to rest "naptime". It's now quiet time. Sometimes she naps .. sometimes she doesn't. But, no matter what she's going to be out of her bed playing. We really don't mind it unless she trashes her room by pulling everything out of her closet and drawers. She's done that a couple of times and has gotten a stern talking to and been forced to clean it up. She didn't like the cleaning up part, so she doesn't do it as often anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:04 am 

Lyric was just put into her toddler bed at 16mths, she doesnt like it lol she likes the REGULAR Twin sized bed :? LOL its ok tho, she does GREAT in it. We switched cause she started to HATE her crib and was always climbing out of it.