Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:59 pm 

So im 7 weeks along in my pregnancy and i dont know when i should start shopping for baby stuff when is to early and when is to late?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:05 pm 

This is just what I have been told from mother's who already have children. Don't worry about starting to buy stuff until like you are ATLEAST 3 or 4 months pregnant because you never know what could happen. The reason I say that is because my mother-in-law was 3 months pregnant- had a lot of stuff already bought up- and had a miscarriage... not to scare you or jinx you or anything like that!!! But, for clothes you don't want to till after you find out if it is a boy or girl! I am almost 6 months pregnant and haven't really bought that much because I've been waiting to find out the sex of the baby. Anyways, hope this was atleast a little helpful to you! Congratulations!! Believe me... it was hard to keep me from buying a lot real soon too because I was so excited!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:03 pm 

I know exactly how you feel. I was just dying to buy stuff when I found out. However, because the risk of miscarriage is pretty high until later pregnancy, I decided to wait on buying stuff and thinking about names. The risk goes down when you start week 13 (or round about that) You can feel pretty safe when you get finished with week 16. Personally, I have been counting down to that milestone for months. I am starting week 16 tomorrow and am so excited to get that week done. Then some serious shopping begins. Not so much buying since I don't find out the sex until June 11. And, I will allow myself to think about names.

If you want to get something, you should get this kick ass baby book I found (FREE, and free delivery too!!) It's hardbound, 750 pages and Very informative and interesting. Here's the ad:

FREE 750 pg Mayo Clinic Pregnancy & Baby's First Year book
Enter username: "good" and password "neighbor" to access the page. You don't have to be a customer of State Farm's to get the book. If you are expecting or know someone who is, this book is available to you. Really nice!

Here's the link where you can enter the passwords to get the book.
http://www.statefarm.com/customer/h...event/baby.html

Also, while you're waiting for week 16, you could go look for free baby stuff online and get some freebies in the mail. I got a bib and it was real cool/strange because it is the first real baby item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:54 pm 

Start shopping whenever you want to in my opinion. I started soon after I found out. It was too hard to wait. I was so excited. I ended up having to buy neutral things however because my first wouldn't let us see what she was when we finally got a chance to see. However, I would definately KEEP ALL RECEIPTS. I have many friends who were told they were having boys and when they delivered they turned out to be girls and they all had bought boy stuff and didn't keep receipts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:58 am 

I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks along...not that this could happen to you, but you never know. It was devastating to have the crib already and the changing table and some clothing. It was already up in the baby room although not decorated yet. I was ecstatic to go out and start finding things here and there. But with this pregnancy, I am just over a month and I won't be getting anything until after I am fully ready and well along to do so. But that's just me and this is just my opinion. Not to cloud over you excitement AT ALL, cause you have a right to be excited! Just don't overdo getting anything I think. It's so hard to look at if you miscarry.

Sorry! Sounds so dreary! But I've been thru both cases. A happy healthy pregnancy with my now six and a half year old daughter, and a recent miscarriage that broke me down. It's up to YOU to decide when you want to start buying things or if you want to wait.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:46 am 

yeah, I know if the blood test comes back positive I'll want to rush out and buy stuff, too, but it is better to wait. Last time my mom convinced me not to buy much, all I bought was a few of those little plates that are sectioned off. They had bunnies, and were a complete set, too cute to pass up, but after I lost the baby, if they caught my eye, I'd be a flood warning. So I'd say wait, although I know it's really tempting to buy all the cute stuff. (I'm partial to baby shoes, I can't wait to buy some, they're so tiny. :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:52 am 

im 17 weeks pregrannt with my 3rd and i havent even looked at baby stuff i still think im to early incase anything was to go wrong.

I have a scan on the 13 july which i will be nearly 19 weeks and maybe after then i will start too look at things.

I am lucky though i dont have to buy a pram or any big things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:08 am 

I waited until I found out that she was a girl! 1.) Than I could buy with a purpose. 2.) Once you hit the 2nd trimester your chance of miscarriage decreases alot

I did buy a baby book and a cute pair of pajamas when I was about 8 weeks though!