Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:38 pm 

Hello,

I am expecting in August of 2006 and would like some of the ladies? opinions on this. I will be traveling to Munich for business this February, right around the end of my first trimester. My ob-gyn has already told me that the flying and traveling should be safe. Still, a couple problems: My husband, wonderful man that he is, is VERY concerned about the baby?s and my well-being. He would love it if I cancelled the trip but understands that I am very devoted to taking care of myself and our child, our first, I should probably add. I have also traveled to Germany and several places abroad before, so it?s not like customs and culture shock are new or harmful things to me, which he knows. Still, he worries. How do I reassure him that everything will be OK for my nine-day trip? I?d be interested to hear everyone?s thoughts on flying during pregnancy. That brings me to my second source of trouble, which is that my personal phone?s plan does not allow for international calling. I could purchase international minutes but they are too overpriced IMO. My work phone has them, but I can?t really let my husband call me on the work line the whole time. Does anyone have a phone solution they like and does not cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks, Shelley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 pm 

As far as I know flying is pretty safe in pregnancy. Some airlines wont let you fly too close to the end as they don't want you to go into labour on the plane but in early and middle of pregnancy it's fine. I never heard of it hurting the baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:05 am 

I flew when I was 13 weeks pregnant with my first baby. It was perfectly fine, just make sure that you stretch your legs every half hour or so, you don't want to sit TOO long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:40 pm 

I definitely think traveling during pregnancy is all right but I guess you should talk to your obgyn more about your husband?s concerns. Maybe you can make an appointment for your doc and him to sit down and discuss his concerns. And count your lucky stars that you?re with a man who cares this much about you and you baby, some of them sure could take a lesson! As far as phone ideas, we use onesuite at our house for the cheap rates and lack of monthly charges. I don?t really do too much international travel ? 3 kids in preschool kind of makes it hard ? but I think onesuite offers international service too. Or, if it?s at all possible, have your hubby come with you! It will be great treat for the two of you to travel by yourselves and those trips sure are few and far between once the kid comes!