Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Traveling By Plane
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:46 pm 

Hi!

I just had my beautiful baby boy, Aiden, 2 1/2 weeks ago. Wow! Sleeping is non-existent! Anyways, I was wondering who all traveled by plane with their infant. How did you do it? Any advice? Things we should get for the trip? Basically it would be great if you could share your experience(s). Are there any rules about traveling with an infant on the plane? What did you carry your infant in on the plane, etc. etc. Thank you for you time!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:29 am 

i took my daugther to spain when she was 9 months and it wasnt so bad they have to sit on ur lap through the plane journey.

But i dont think they can fly untill there 3months old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:07 pm 

I know my mom said that I flew when I was 6 weeks old. I don't think it is as late as 3 months but I can't help you out with tips yet. I still have a few months before mine is born!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:29 pm 

Amy,

We took Cala on an airplane when she was 3 weeks, 1 day old. We adopted her from Wyoming and we live in Alabama. She did not have to have medical clearance to fly. But we did ask the doctor who had delivered her. He had actually seen her for two appointments while we were waiting for clearance to come home anyway. Some airlines do require a letter of clearance, so ask your airline, and talk to your pediatrician.

We brought Cala's baby bucket (carrier) on the airplane, and she pretty much stayed in there for the whole flight. I think I did get her out for just a few minutes of the two flights. I also timed it so that she was getting a bottle during take-offs and landings. Since Robert had to go back to work my Mom had come out to stay with us while we waited to go home. For the first flight my Mom was sitting with me, but for the second Mom & I were separated. We all did great on the plane. Everyone commented how Cala was so quiet and good on both of our flights.

We were very fortunate to have an empty seat beside us on each flight, so I could strap the bucket in with the seatbelt.

We had not brought our stroller with us, because we just didn't see how we could have carried it, and the luggage. The bucket pops into the stroller, so we might have been able to do it? Who knows? Once we were up there we REALLY wished that we had brought the stroller. You may want to try to bring yours along. The flight attendants will probably take it and stow it for you, and then get it out for you as you de-plane.

Email me at karenlynp@yahoo.com if you have any other questions. I will try to help. Cala was/is such a good baby/little girl that she made our travel really easy. I did get a lot of strange looks though travelling with such a tiny baby.