Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Traveling By Plane
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:46 pm 

Hi!

I just had my beautiful baby boy, Aiden, 2 1/2 weeks ago. Wow! Sleeping is non-existent! Anyways, I was wondering who all traveled by plane with their infant. How did you do it? Any advice? Things we should get for the trip? Basically it would be great if you could share your experience(s). Are there any rules about traveling with an infant on the plane? What did you carry your infant in on the plane, etc. etc. Thank you for you time!

Amy

Post subject: Traveling Too
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:55 pm 

Hi Amy, I'm traveling next week for the first time with my 4 month old. I'm breastfeeding and I'm debating about taking my boppy so that I don't have to hold him up there for 4 hours. It seems bulky though and I'm worried about looking like one of those parents carrying the kitchen sink. We are going to bring something to chew on if he won't nurse for the take off and landing and a mat to change him on so he doesn't have an accident on the seat. Other than that, I don't know what I'll need. I do know I'll be taking advantage of the getting on first thing though. Good luck.

Post subject: Plane trip
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:28 pm 

My husband and I took our 3 month on a plane trip and I was so nervous about how it would go. We brought a pacifier for her to suck on during take-off and landing. But I ended up breastfeeding her during both as it was that time. She slept most of the 4 hour trip there, so it worked out well for us and the rest of the plane. On the way back, however, she was awake and fairly happy. It was a late night flight and some people gave us odd looks as she squealed and giggled (I don't understand some people). The toughest part for us was holding her for the whole flight in such cramped seats.
Hope all goes well for you!!
Nicole

Post subject: Plane rides
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:55 pm 

Howdy fellow travelers. I guess tis the season for traveling. When my son was four months old we took him to Vegas. I took him to the doctors the week before our trip to check his ears out. I STRONGLY advise that. Your child could have an ear infection or could be getting one that you don't see yet but will see on the plane. While there suprisingly my doctor told me to save my sanity give him benadryl before getting on the plane. At first I questioned him but he advised me that I would be doing the baby a favor too. So we did. It was a great idea. He slept most of the ride. Just check the dosage with your doctor. I also recommend taking those pouches. I put him in there this way he was close to me (I don't fly well myself) and I had free hands. I also nursed him going up and down and although I am a BIG fan of the boppy I think the seats are a little too cramped for them. Not only that but I am sure like us you have the stroller, carrier, suitcases, breast pump. YOu will have so much other stuff to carry. Now funny thing is we are traveling again in a few weeks so I took my daughter who will be four months old when we travel to have her ears checked. My doctor wasn't it so I saw his associate. She is TOTALLY againest giving Benadryl to fly. I just wanted to check the dosage with her. She doesn't believe in giving a baby medication when they don't need it. I see her point but this is not something I do everyday. We travel by plane once every two years. And since my son is now two we aren't giving him anything he is very excited about flying plus we are going on Jet Blue. Got to love there little TV's. So if you ask your doctor about the dosage of the benadryl I am not sure what kind of reception you will get. I wish you all a safe flight and a great vacation!!!