Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trouble sleeping
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:49 am 

Hey all. Jackson seems to just want to use my wife as a passafier instead of nursing late at night. It is making my wife crazy. We get him to sleep then he will wake up and cry like he wants to eat then he just does that.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this?

1) Keep him awake more than we are in the afternoon and evening even if he just cries?

2) Let him just cry himself back to sleep when he wakes up wanting this?

Trying to substitute his passafier when he does this is not working at all. We are totally lost and I really feel for my wife because she is so tired. Its 12:49 am and its still going on :(

I am at a loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:15 pm 

Is he falling into ANY kind of sleeping pattern yet?

My best advice it to nurse him on demand during the day. Let him nurse as often as he would like, and if it were me, I'd do my best to keep him up in the afternoon a bit more.

Then at night, try letting him fuss for a few mins before rushing in to pick him up. He MAY put himself back to sleep contently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:12 pm 

Yea I agree w/ Suzanne, but don't let him cry it out, he is way too young for that. GOOD LUCK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:59 pm 

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Any advice on waking him up and keeping him up?

I expose his legs and rub them and kind of tickle his feet. I also try not to keep him in one position very long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:43 am 

Where do you live? Is it simply too cold to take him outside?

When I was nursing my first, and he couldn't stay away long enough to feed, the nurses told me to strip him down to his diaper, and give him some skin to skin contact. Also, give him something to look at. You can find lot of black and white pattern toys that may do the trick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 pm 

Live near St. Louis. It is mild then cool here this winter. But at night its far to cold for him to be outside.

Tonight he is doing the crying when he isnt on her breast again. He will relax for a few minutes at a time then he seems to get angry that he isnt on her. She cannot keep this up. He was born 8lb 11oz. His first doc visit he was 8lb 1 oz. A week later he was 8lb 13 oz.

12 days later he is 10lb 61/2oz. He seems to be getting plenty of food. Doc said there is nothing wrong with him other than he is a little congested. He is now taking PediaCare for his congestion.

I guess my question is should she feed him or let him just suckle when he is like this? If so this means no sleep for the wife. We just do not know how to handle it yet. SHe is feeding him now so hopefully it will do the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:55 am 

My daughter wanted to be feed all the time so I fed her whenever she wanted....

I think if hes hungry then let him eat as much as he wants

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:38 am 

You guys can always co-sleep with your baby and she can lay on her side and let your baby nurse at night that way... it may help your wife get some rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 pm 

co-sleeping with him at a month seems dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:54 pm 

Many families do it and studies show that it reduces the risk of SIDs in infants now. We personally did not do it, but some families feel it's best for them and their child.

Studies also show that it helps a beby sleep better and regulates their breathing.

If you feel that you or your your wife are heavy sleepers then I don't recommend it.

Suggestions from me would be make sure there are no blankets or pillows near your baby to prevent suffocation, and keep him in a sleeper to keep him warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:33 pm 

co sleeping is only for people who are comfortable doing it,I do but alot of people don't feel comfortable about it,I would swaddle him for comfort and try that a friend who is sitting next to me suggested trying him with a small bottle of formula before you put him to bed ,he might just need something"solid" in his belly to help him sleep and formula is a lot heavier than breast milk! Other than that he sounds like he is looking for comfort,Is he in a big cot,? Maybe he needs closeness,try a cradle,if you don't have one simulate one by tucking in rolled up towels around him in a circle . I hope this helps,I think your a great dad too!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:43 pm 

UPDATE!

Today my wife tells me she has been snacking on some chocolate candy that she and her mother made on Sunday.... Well, I think that was the culprit. She is not drinking caffine at all and milk never seemed to bother him. 1 full day without chocolate and he is sleeping awsome! Even if I hear him through the monitor starting to fuss he has fallen right back to sleep every time.

STAY AWAY FROM THAT CHOCOLATE!!! :)

8pm and counting :) 3 hours of good sleep so far :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:49 pm 

Yea she has got to watch what she eats! I'm not sure as to everything she cannot have exactly, b/c unfortunately I wasn't able to breastfeed, but I'm sure the other girls on here can help you there.

I slept with Hannah her first 2 months or so. I was fine, and slept lightly enough to do it, but once I started being able to sleep longer, and I got used to sleeping longer/better I put her in her own bed, I like my sleep too much and didn't trust myself to sleep with her anymore. Heck she has slept on my stomach before! You'll know if you can do it or not... :)

Congrats on figuring out what the problem was, and getting some sleep finally! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:50 am 

Cafffine is always a no no,also tomatoes for some reason,congratulations on figureing it out that soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:59 am 

Trust me... three 4 am nights will do wonders for your ability to problem solve ;)

12 am and still sleeping. I guess i need to go to bed now. I wanted the wife to get some solid sleep in so I stayed up to put him back to sleep if he woke :)