Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: tummy time
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:37 pm 
alright, here goes my first question as a parent... (wow, hard to believe that grant that right to people).. ok when i feed mykenzi, and then burp her, i usually lay her on her belly on my belly, and she loves it... well she was very fussy a little while ago, and i tried everything, and she just wouldnt calm down, well i didnt wanna sit there and hold her cuz i needed to get some stuff done, so i layed her on the couch on her belly to see how she would react to it, and she fell right asleep.. and has been asleep ever since..my question is: is she too young to lay her on her belly? i mean, i know better than to let her sleep in bed and out of my eye sight on her belly, but as long as im in the room and can keep a close eye on her, is it ok? it wont harm her or nothing since she is so tiny?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:56 pm 
My child has been sleeping on her belly since day one. She absolutly refused to be on her back. This is really a personal choice for you. The books and all say to have them sleep on thier backs but some babies just don't want to and do better on thier bellies, though there will probably always be that underlining fear of SIDS. But letting her fall asleep during the day with you there certainly won't hurt her, at least that is my opinion, i'm sure others will chime in if they feel i am wrong. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:12 pm 
yeah i just talked ot my mom, and she said that she put both me and y sister on our bellies to sleep. thank you for the input though, this new mommy thing scares me a wee bit, i come from a family of babies, but it is totally different when its your own to take care of, ya know? i just wanna be a good mommy :-D

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:39 pm 

Melisa if you are with her there is no problem with putting her on her belly. The only thing she may then at night only want to be on her belly. I personally would wait. Just my opinion. :0)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:50 pm 
I completly agree and did not even think about mentioning that. Once you start you can pretty much bet that she will want to sleep on her belly all the time and start to dislike her sleeping on her back, so I agree with the above statement to wait if you don't want her sleeping on her belly at night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:18 pm 

My dd slept on her belly from the time she was born...even at night. She wouldn't sleep any other way. They recommend 'back to sleep' to help reduce the risk of SIDS. I think it's a personal decision-what you're most comfortable with. There's less incidence reported with babies on their backs but they don't know the cause of SIDS, just tips to help reduce the risk. However I wouldn't lay her on her belly on the couch. There's a greater chance of her suffocating on the couch than SIDS. If she had an upset tummy the pressure from laying on it would make her feel better.