Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ultrasound question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:27 pm 

Hi everyone! Im 16 weeks pregnant and I just found out that at my doc's they dont want to do an ultrasound until about 24-28 weeks to find out the sex. Not only that but they are making me pay $40 bucks. At 16 weeks I am not worried about the sex just yet at this point. I wan't to have one done now just so I can have that comfort in knowing that my baby is healthly. Can I request one right now and then have another one for the finding of the sex? I went to the doc's twice already and heard the heart beat both times, so that was a good sign, but there also could be other problems that we dont know about until ultrasound. thanks.

xoxo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:12 pm 

Hi,

As far as I know most people get their first ultrasound around 16-18 wks unless there are problems they may do one even earlier.
I had mine at 18 wks and they were able to determine the sex for me at that time.

24-26 wks sounds late to be doing the ultrasound but maybe that is just standard practice for your doctor's office/clinic. You can always ask why they are waiting so long and if there is any way you can have one sooner.

Also, here in Canada we don't pay for ultrasounds or any other standard medical procedures. I assume your in the US?

Good luck with your ultrasound!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:48 am 

With my first the dr. did sonograms at 24weeks. He also said they only do one because that's all insurance usually covers unless more are deemed necessary. Some drs. don't do any. I had a different dr. with my second. I had to have one at 5, 7, & 9weeks for medical reasons so at my 18week visit I asked if I was going to have another one because I wanted to know the sex and he scheduled one later that week. So it doesn't hurt to ask, they may or they may not. As far as paying, it all prob. depends on if you have insurance or not or co-payment. My ultrasounds cost to $3-400 before insurance so if $40 is all you have to pay it doesn't sound bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:06 am 

I had my first scan at 7 weeks cause i was spotting then at 18 weeks then at 25 which they told me it was a boy and i get scanned every two weeks cause hes small.

Im 30 weeks and he weighs 1.26kg dont know if thats big or not.

Over in scotland we get it free with the nhs maybe thats why we get more.

Post subject: why not ask
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:30 pm 

Yeah if I were you I would ask to have one done earlier to curb your anxiety. That will make you feel better this is your pregnancy so do whatever you gotta do to make yourself happy. I was scanned at 6 weeks then around 20 then every 2 weeks after that because of bleeding. The first time you get to see your little one is amazing. I really hope everything goes the way you want it too good luck!

Kerri
11/03/04

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:24 pm 

THANKS EVERYONE. I GO TO THE DOC'S ON 10/6 SO I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS UP DATED. IM SO TIRED RIGHT NOW, I AM AT WORK AND I JUST WANT TO CRASH ON MY DESK.

XOXOX