Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: VBAC, and breastfeeding
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:43 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had experience/information on having a
vaginal birth after having a ceasarean? I want to try and find out as much as I can about this because I had an emergency c-sec with my son, but would like to maybe try a vgainal delivery with this baby.

Also, after my c-sec with my son, I was on a morphine drip for 24 hrs for the pain. Is it safe to breastfeed while on a morphine drip?? I had attempted breasfeeding while on this drip and the nurses didn't really say anything to me about it. I have read conflicting info. on this.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:23 pm 

Where I live they won't allow you to deliver VBAC so I can't help there but when I had my first, my dr wanted me to pump so my dd could get the antibodies from it since she was premature and I was on all kinds of drugs cause it was an emerg. c-sec. due to my appendix ruptured. I didn't do it because I was on all the drugs but I wasn't going to breastfeed anyway. From all that I've read VBAC is pretty safe unless you have some kind of problem and your dr. will examine you to determine if you do. Most drs. just don't want to take a chance I guess of someone rupturing while pushing. The nurses my 2nd time told me that the spinals/epidurals even reach the baby and they are sometimes docil after birth due to them and take a while to leave their system. Good luck on your decisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:11 am 

My Mother many years ago has a c-section with my twin sisters then has some type of stomache surgery and oh four years later had a kid and then two more after that. I recently had a c-section and they say that if you wait atleast a year it helps with the possibilities of having a vaginal birth next time. Im in Germany and without knowing how I was cut they aren't sure if I will deliver vaginal next time. What I mean by not knowing how i was cut is that they did the normal bikini cut on the outside like they're suppose to but my american Doctor thinks knowing the germans they might have done another cut inside up and down and thats why I might need a c-section next time. If you had just one cut which is a bikini cut and you wait atleast a year your chances are good of having a vaginal birth but if you wait longer the chances are more.

As far as medicine for pain. I don't know about the IV stuff but I know the germans give you pills for pain and its safe to breastfeed on those. I didn't take any pain meds and honestly its not that bad. The first day is a little hard but if you have people there to help it really helps and by about the end of the first day i could slowly get out of bed and walk down the hall to the restroom, and by the second day getting out of bed was a little easier and I could then walk all the way down to the NICU place.

I Hope I've helped you a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:51 pm 

Thanks for your responses.

The cut they made with my c-section was a horizontal bikini cut and that was two years ago, it will be almost three years by the time I'm ready to deliver this baby and I have done situps on a regualar basis (not now) to strenghten my abdominals....not sure if that will make a difference in a successful vaginal birth.

Also, I never ended up breastfeeding my son, even though I tried in the hospital. I just felt I wasn't gettng the help I needed from the nurses. I also was so out of it because of all the drugs and my son was screaming for food.....he was a big baby so I just asked for formula and ended up sticking with it.
This time around I would really like to try to breastfeed because of the benefits for the baby, me, and also it will be a lot cheaper. I'm am still concerned with the drugs if they do give me a repeat c-section. I guess I will just have to really talk to the doctor and nurses about this ahead of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:03 pm 

I heard it all depends on the incision that was made during your c-section. In most emergancy ones they do an up and down cut versus the bikini cut they would do in a non emergency situation. I don't think that they would allow you to deliver VBAC if you had the up and down cut because there is too much rick to your new baby and yourself. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:43 pm 

Hey Jackie,

They actually didn't do an up and down (vertical) cut even though it was an emergency c-section. They cut me across(horizontal cut) and it's only about 2 1/2 inches across.....you can barely even see the scar now because it has faded and it's so low. So I will see what my doctor says about having a VBAC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:52 pm 

I didn't think they did vertical cuts anymore. I could be wrong though but I don't know of anybody,.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:05 pm 

Momof2- You're right, as far as I know and where I'm from they don't
do vertical cuts....it was something they were doing 20 years ago.

In the post from Jackie she had mentioned they did them in a emerg. c-section but I have never heard of that.....