Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:22 pm 

Greetings!

I am about 8 weeks along in my second pregnancy (first one miscarried), and progressively over the last month I've noticed that I've gained quite a bit of weight, and most of it is going to my thighs and butt, and also an increased amount of cellulite. ((Gaaahhhhh!))

I've got severe nausea, and am on some pills called Diclectin. Basically even on the pills I am still throwing up in the mornings, and sometimes frequently throughout the day and night. I seem to be craving and eating alot of simple sugars, like toast, waffles, bagels, anything with blueberries/raspberries, cereals.

I'm terrified of what my body will look like if this weight gain continues on such a drastic slope. Any suggestions? I'm confused about how much is okay to excercise. Some people say not at all, some say very little.

I do not want to endanger the pregnancy, but my body image is starting to make me uncomfortable, and I'm hardly even showing a belly! I'd love to be able to take care of myself and support the pregnancy with a healthy fit body.

Any suggestions??

much gratitude, and many smiles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:34 am 
Start walking, that is going to be the best low stress excercise for you to do. We ALL gain weight while we are pregnant, it is just part of being pregnant. Eat right, walk and let nature take its course and then when your child is born start working it off. I gained 50+ lbs with Lily, I was devistated but if that is what she needed to grow than so be it.
P.S. I went throught the horrible nausea too, I am sorry you have to go through that but hopefully it will start to settle down in the next few weeks. Mine went away around 10 weeks. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:19 pm 

Thanks! Yes, I understand I'll gain weight, I'd just like to keep it to what's necessary and also try to have a fit body for delivery. I'm hoping to do a home birth, and plan on doing some prenatal yoga, but just really had concerns about the amount of weight I seem to be gaining, and wanted to know what excercise is safe and good, especially for toning the lower body.

thanks for the encouragement about the illness, here's hoping it eases off!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:32 am 

I had bad nausea with all my pregnancies and I was told that ginger helps. Hope it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:18 pm 

Hi,

I don't have all the answers but I can defenetely share my experience since you seem to be having the same problem that I had in the first trimester so...

EATING: I was throwing up at least 1- 2 times a day no matter what I ate. I figured after a while that I had most problem eating warm food, because it was releasing smell, so naturally switching to cold food seem working better. Especially sandwiches, dry bread of all sorts and danish alike and pasta things... but I figured that even throwing up so much I was gaining waight like crazy. So my next idea was to just cut on the amount. I still had to have starchy food but than I tried to have only like third of what I would like to have to cut on gaining waight.
Also, be carefull what they write about eating for two... I noticed that my metabolism not only slowe down like crazy - so technically I needed even much less food than before pregnancy to keep the waight or even gain not to mention eating more !!! higher calorie intake is right but for much later in pregnancy but that you will know yourself when you will be eating and not gaining too much.

Also... I figured that I had problem eating veggies, salads and fruits so I wanted to keep up with vitamines. So it was easier for me to dring those Naked or Odvalla ready made fresh juices than eat fruits.
Citrus -big problem! I felt sicker after orange than anything else.

EXCERSIZE - walking is almost always good idea. I had my first doctor visit late - not in first trimester so I had to play safe as I was not sure aobut excersize either. Technically there is many things that you can do to harm baby and without knowing what is good it is better to hold. as resting do as much good as excersizing. So I was walking and resting. And than when the doc saw me I asked if it is safe in my particular situation to excersize. It was okay. Asking doctor is good idea but still I am a bit conservative to what I do as it is after all my baby and I don't want to harm it by overdooing anything.
As is with swimming.. technically safe, but... even when I was pick of health I sometime got some rashes or infections by swimming in the pool with chemicals.. You never know who is swimming before you and how good desinfectants are there. and after all this is water and water can get everywherhe :-)

feel good, stay healthy and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:19 pm 

yeah like everyone has said thus far..walking...my mom told me when i got pregnant that i needed to walk a mile a couple times a week to get exercise...that it wold make pregnancy much easier and that it would make labor and delivery easier..hope she's right! well find out in a few months hehe good luck with yours and i hope that you feel better soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:17 pm 

Hello! I was on diclectin too for like 3 or 4 months! But it worked great for me. I took one pill in the morning and 2 before bed. Is that what you're taking? Also it is ok to do low stress excercises during pregnancy and yes, walking is a huge help. I was 98 lbs before getting pregnant and I gained 75 lbs during my pregnancy. My daughter is about a week and a half old and I have already lost about 35 lbs! Don't worry, women usually bounce right back after their 1st babies! I look much thinner than I did 2 weeks ago! You WILL look like crap for a while there isn't much you can do about it! I hated how I looked too but like I've said: It's all for a good cause! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! :D