Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:16 pm 

I was just reading a pregnancy magazine, and it was writtend that
the routine ultrasonogram is not recommended and it should be limited
to high risk pregnancies or when something is suspected.

Any thoughts on the topic? I am wondering what is done generally
for me it seem rather normal that every OB/GYN is making
routine ultrasonogram once you close the door. true?

I am just wondering if it is totally safe then if they don't recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:32 pm 

I think in general, at least around here, they do one sonogram unless a need arises. With my 1st I had one around 6mos. but then I had a couple the week she was born because complications arose. Then with my 2nd I had 4 because I was then at high risk due to my complications and they both are doing just fine. I think one is sufficient and wouldn't do more unnecessarily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:45 pm 

I've had three; two of which are routine where I live (I belive) One at 14 wks, one at about 21 wks and then I had to go back to get another b/c they couldn't see Hannah's lower back. Nothing serious they just needed to make sure everything was normal, which it is. :D I don't think theyre unsafe at all! good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:49 am 
My understanding on the subject is that there is not enough research about just how safe the ultrasound is for the baby (and what mother in thier right mind is going to let their baby be a test subject for that). I had to have 5 of them due to complications from the very beginning (everything turned out fine). I think a big thing these days are those 4D ultrasounds that you go to a store and pay hundreds of dollars for and they are not performed by a doctor. I have heard of people getting to get ultrasounds like once a month , just because they want to and I think that is ridiculous and excessive.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/lilymace/

Last edited by Krissimace on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:08 am 

Hi,

I don't know where you live but in England they do 1 between 11 - 13 weeks, at this one they tell you how many babies you are carrying, and they can also tell you about the risk of your child having birth defects from size and the amount of fluid surrounding the baby's neck. Then they do another at 20 weeks and they check on the size of the baby, birth defects agian, and they can sometimes tell you the sex of the child.

This has been standard practise over hear for many years and I have never heard of ultrasound causing any harm to an unborn baby.

Don't know if this helps!

Vicky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:29 am 

hi,
so far i've had 3 scans and i have another one coming up, the first one was a maturity scan and to find out my EDD, 2nd to check for chances of down syndrome, 3rd one was for anatomy of my baby, and i found out it was a boy, and the 4th one will be at 32 weeks to check my placenta has moved because its too close to my cervix at the moment,
ive never heard of anyones baby being affected by a scan, and i like seeing my baby and how much he's grown, i wouldnt get a scan if i didnt need one though, but i supposed its a womans choice.
my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:56 am 

I had 1 Thrusday. And I will have another around 27 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:46 pm 

The more I speak with people the more I am hesitant to not to do the ultrasound. Especially when I've heard that female OBGYN doctors who are pregnant usually avoid taking them themselves. Do they know something and not sharing? hm.... bits me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:20 pm 

I think it's just that the risks aren't really known. I've only had one picture ultrasound, but every month I'm checked with the doppler (another form of u/s). I can tell that my baby does not like it at all. He tries to run away and kick at it.

Ultrasounds are soundwaves that bounce off of the fetus and form an image. We don't know if that sound is a painful one or if it just scares them. Even though it's nice to be able to see our babies or hear the heartbeat, you have to wonder what they're going through.

I think if I was offered another ultrasound right now I would refuse it. I got to see him once. That's all I need. I can wait until he gets here to see him again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:37 am 

This is something that is quite surpising, if I used to think that ultrasound is absolutely safe than why only few sources like this one actually say what is happening to the baby during it this is just a fragment of the article of a doctor who herself did not go for scans with her babies:

http://www.birthlove.com/free/ultrasound.html

"Biological effects of Ultrasound

Ultrasound waves are known to affect tissues in two main ways. Firstly, the sonar beam causes heating of the highlighted area by about 1 degree celsius.

The second recognised effect is cavitation, where the small pockets of gas which exist within mammalian tissue vibrate and then collapse. In this situation "?temperatures of many thousands of degrees celsius in the gas create a wide range of chemical products, some of which are potentially toxic. These violent processes may be produced by micro-second pulses of the kind which are used in medical diagnosis?." (Am Inst of Ultrasound Medicine Bioeffects Report 1988) The significance of cavitation effects in human tissue is unknown."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:26 am 

just noticing it says 1988 for a year../. i imagine that things have changed in the last 17 years ! just a thought!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:10 pm 

Jennifer -
you would think that things has changed since 1987 rigth?
I guess than you should read this one to see how exactly they changed...

apparently not for better:

http://www.birthlove.com/free/ultrasound.html

Cypay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:48 pm 

well for the most part it is saying the risks are unknown but I can say with certainty that my kids are healthy and happy and were scanned quite a bit.
as 4 the wrong diagnosis issues, yeah there is some anxeity but I would feel better to know we have some issues to look for in our baby before its born than to be laying in that bed after having given birth and have no clue they are about to tell me my perfect little baby is not as healthy as I had hoped. On the flip side, I would be happy to have them tell me their diagnosis was wrong upon birth and the baby is absolutely perfect!
Just my opinion!
I still say what will be will be and hon you have got to quit stressing yourself out. Your doctor is going to do what he feels is right for you and your lil one. Furthermore, ultimately it is your choice wether you have a US or not ... personally I welcome anything that will give me insight about this lil package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:24 pm 

I agree 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:53 pm 

Hey,

Well I'm a little late replying to this post but I just wanted to give my opinion.
With my pregnancy I did not have any complications whatsoever and my OBYN scheduled me for only ONE ultrasound at 18 wks. I thought this was standard but from reading everyone's posts it seems like it really varies. I live in Toronto, Canada. I think it may depend more on your doctor and not where you live and also if there are any complications during your pregnancy.

For my next pregnancy, I also plan on only getting one and letting my doctor know this, unless of course there is a potential problem that has to be monitored with more lltrasounds (hopefully not). Personally, I think having too many unecessary ultrasounds may not be good....this is just my own opinion.
My son also did not like the doppler and would move away from it.

But, it all comes down to you....it's your baby and you have to make the choice you think is right for your baby.