Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:59 pm 

I'm chuckling at myself for asking this because I have toddler and have been through this. But, I simply can't remember when we started putting a blanket in with my 2.5 year old.

My six-month-old's room is probably the coldest in the house (wish we'd known that when we moved in back in May!) Since he outgrew swaddling a couple of months ago, we've just been putting him down in a fleecy sleeper with a long sleeved onesie and socks underneath. We were afraid to put a blanket over him, figuring he'd choke himself. He's not the worst sleeper in the world, but not the best either. Tonight we figured we'd see if he would sleep better if warmer and cozier. I found a loose weave thin afghan and put it over him, tucking the sides down as much as I can. I checked on him about an hour after putting him down and he'd already pulled out one side a little.

I'm only mildly concerned that he'll hurt himself with it in there. He's definitely a chewer. Anything in arm's reach goes in his mouth. So, theoretically he could wrap the blanket around his head. I tried it myself and didn't have any trouble at all breathing through it.

Did we make that move too soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:32 am 

My children have slept with blankets from day 1 and never had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:53 pm 

I never put a pillow or blanket in the crib with my son until he was a year old. I asked the doctor before making the change and worried for a few nights even after that!! I know people who have always put a blanket in with their children with no problems. But I have also heard of children getting in trouble with a blanket!! I think you are doing the right thing by dressing him warmer instead of the blanket. That is what we did too as our son's room gets cold in the winter too! I was afraid to take the chance...know what I mean? We also bought a small electric heater to put in his room, but I don't know if that would be a good idea with a toddler around!!

Best of luck!

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:24 pm 

Quote:
We also bought a small electric heater to put in his room

Those can be even more trouble. They cause a lot of fires every year.

We tried the blanket thing for one night, but he had a horrible night. He might have felt constricted. Back to the drawing board!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:33 pm 

Hey steve.
With both my kids they had a blanket from day one. Although payton LOVES to sleep with the blanket over her head. I guess she likes the warmth. Cause I can go in there and take it off her head and five minutes later it's back up there. So now my grandmother is making her the blankets; the croched ones this way there is holes and she can still breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:14 am 

jenna103 wrote:
Hey steve.
With both my kids they had a blanket from day one. Although payton LOVES to sleep with the blanket over her head. I guess she likes the warmth. Cause I can go in there and take it off her head and five minutes later it's back up there. So now my grandmother is making her the blankets; the croched ones this way there is holes and she can still breath.

We had one of those for my daughter that was made by my sis-in-law. My girl still sleeps with it (among other various things) and would flip out if it suddenly went missing, so I doubt I could use it for my son. I need to find another one just like it. If I know him, he'll chew on it more than use it for warmth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:59 am 

Well...there you go!! A double whammy!! A blanket and a chew toy all in one!! LOL!!

Hugs,

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:40 pm 

Well, tell your sister in law to get sewing. Another blanket is needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:37 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
Well, tell your sister in law to get sewing. Another blanket is needed.

I would, but unfortunately she's got a 20-month-old and another on the way soon. I doubt she'll have the time .. lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:57 pm 

I guess she thinks that is a good excuse??? LOL!!! Send me your address; my grandmother is always making blankets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:38 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
I guess she thinks that is a good excuse??? LOL!!! Send me your address; my grandmother is always making blankets.

That's very nice, but not necessary. Keep those blankets for your kids. You can never have too many!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:20 pm 

Keep your eye out for a craft fair. I know you guys love going to them. LOL!! You'll find them there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:28 am 

jenna103 wrote:
Keep your eye out for a craft fair. I know you guys love going to them. LOL!! You'll find them there.

Meh .. no thanks! I'll check out Target. They'll probably have something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:59 pm 

Target? Hmm didn't think of that. I guess it's worth a try. For the record Payton is back to getting up at night. I knew the vacation would screw up all my work. LOL!!! How is your little guy doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:25 am 

My twins also sleep in the coldest room in the house. I bought sleep sacks for them. They are like blankets that zip in the front and have arm holes. You can get them at Babies-R-Us, they work great and we love them!