Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:25 pm 

I was just wondering when everyone's babies started sleeping through the night without waking for night feedings?

My son started sleeping through the night consistenly at 5 months but he did sleep through the night several times at 4 months. He was formula fed and I have heard that typically formula-fed babies start sleeping through the night sooner than breastfed babies.

I was on a breastfeeding website and one of the lactation consultants said most breastfed babies would start sleeping through the night between 1 and 2 yrs. Is this true????? I plan on breastfeeding this baby and when I read this I was shocked! :shock: That seems like a long time to go without getting sleep :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:38 pm 

My dd who was bottle fed didn't start sleeping through the night until she was almost 2yrs, right before my ds was born. She was even off the bottle at 15mos. My ds is now 4mos and he is mostly sleeping through the night. On occasion he will get up to eat. My son is on formula too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:39 pm 

Do you mean ALL night, or the practical definition of 6-7 hours at a time? If you're talking about all night, it was about nine or ten months for my daughter, who is now 2.5 years old. My son, who is six months old tomorrow, still isn't by a long shot. He's fed once per night and wakes up a couple of times other than that to cry for about fifteen minutes. We let him go and he falls asleep on his own.

Then again, I think we just breed crapass sleepers in our house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:47 pm 

Steve,

I know 5-7 hr stretches of sleep is considered sleeping through the night for babies. My son was sleeping from 8pm until 2am, wake up have a feeding and sleep until 6:30-7am.

But by 5 months he was going longer. From 8-8:30 pm until 5-5:30 am.
We were shocked the first time it happened......we ran in to check on him thinking something was wrong. Everthing was of course fine. He just suprised us :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:12 pm 

Hey guys!!
Mikey was breast fed and formula fed. I gave formula in his last bottle of the night. He slept through the night at 3 months on the nose. 9 to 7. Payton is a little older and the last 10 days she has been sleeping from 9:30 to 9:30 and she's only breast fed. I think it depends more on the baby. I found cereal a huge help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:30 pm 

My boy slept from 8pm until 6am last night!!!

I'm not excited yet. I'm sure it was a fluke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:29 am 

That was great Steve. Payton went down at 9:30 last night and...................she's just stirring now. WOOOHOOO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:27 am 

Told you it wouldn't happen again. The boy's cold has taken a turn for the worse, and he's been up off and on all night for the past two nights. We JUST got him trained and now we're going to have to start all over!!!

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:23 am 

Steve I am sorry the baby isn't feeling good. I guess tis the season for colds. Well, we will keep our fingers crossed the other kids don't get sick. Especially right before the holiday's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:58 pm 

Doesn't it just suck when they get sick and out of their routines?
Alex is still like that........after a bad cold, he's right out of his routine and it seems to take forever to get it established again.

Jenna- Did you say Payton went down to bed at 9:30pm and woke up the next early afternoon at 11:30am ??!! I can't believe any baby would sleep that long!! Does she have an afternoon nap as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:34 pm 

That is so frustrating. You are so close you think they have mastered the routine and then whammy. The whole thing blows up. I am afraid that when we are away on vacation she will get out of her routine and then it's back to square one when we get back.
I couldn't believe she slept that long either. That was the second time she has done that. But she did not nap the WHOLE rest of the day. She took a 20 minute power nap that was it. And she only wanted to be held. So this morning I woke her at almost nine. Then she and my son napped from 12 to 1:15. Go nap for her; that was a short nap for him. I think he heard her screaming. I think she's going through a growth spurt cause things she wore two weeks ago are way to short on her. This morning we went through 3 outfits until we found one that fit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:01 am 

He went from 7:45pm until 6:30am last night!

I won't be convinced that it means anything until he does it when he's off the cold medicine. He also napped like a world champion today, which he NEVER does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:39 am 

Do you have to take him off the cold medicine??? Kidding!!!! Don't want to cause a problem like we did with the Benadryl comments. Hahahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:50 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
Do you have to take him off the cold medicine??? Kidding!!!! Don't want to cause a problem like we did with the Benadryl comments. Hahahaha

lol! True. Believe me .. I've thought about keeping him on it, if only fleetingly (is that a word?)

Oh well. He woke up and wanted to be fed at 4am today. Still not bad. He went down before 8pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:29 am 

Well, if he went down before 8 that was still a nice stretch. How old is he Steve? Payton is having a tough time putting herself to sleep tonight. It's 12:30 and she's been up since 4:30. She was soooo tired at the christmas party but just wouldn't shut her eyes. Now she's in her crib working it out a bit. I think she is cutting a tooth. Although this is sooo young. My son didn't cut his first tooth until 6 weeks before his first birthday. But she is chomping on her hand and today she is drooling ALOT. Although she has been spitting up alot too and tonight her nose seemed a little runny. I hope she isn't getting sick. Is it true they sometimes get cold like sypmtoms before cutting a tooth? And is 19 weeks to early for a tooth?