Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: When does a baby...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:51 pm 
At what age can a baby start having some water in addition to mother's milk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:34 am 

Hi There,

I think from birth you can give your little one water to drink. As long as it is Cooled Boiled Water. Not just straight from the tap.

Kind regards
Lopke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:31 pm 

I was told not to give Lyric anything BUT formula till about 6mths, we starting gving her waterd down juice at 4mths tho, i was told water has nothing in it so it wasnt benificial for the babies when they are young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:14 pm 

Lyricsmama wrote:
i was told water has nothing in it so it wasnt benificial for the babies when they are young.

This is pretty much true. There's really no point in giving your child water unless there's some concern about them being dehydrated. In most cases they get all of the fluid they need from breastmilk or formula. Years ago they used to tell mothers to give babies water in between bottles, but they realized it wasn't necessary and did nothing but take away nutrition, because the kids filled up on water and not breastmilk or formula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:10 am 

Hi Again,

Giving water (cooled boiled water) to your baby can be very benificial! Giving water to them from a young age get's them used to the taste so that when they are older they are able to drink water rather than juices or mixed on juice all day long. As well as if it is a hot day and your little one wants to drink all day it's much easier to give them a sip of water inbetween feeds (obviously they still would have their normal meals - one wouldn't cut out or down on their normall feed times) but it is easier to give them a sip of water than have them sit on your breast all day long.

Giving your child water is not harmfull to his/her health.

Kind regards
Lopke :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:25 pm 

Hi,

I was told by my public health nurse that giving no more than an ounce of cooled boiled water was fine after a feeding. She had told me that breastmilk contained more water than formula and that the water was ok especially during hot weather.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:01 am 

Hi.

A breastfed baby does not need any additional water.

The breastmilk is 90% water. So baby's thirst will always be quenched. This is reason why, breastfed baby's do not suffer from constipation.

Bottlefed baby's however, may need water if constipation is continuous, because formula milk is artifical.

So be happy breastfeeding, your baby is getting all that he/she needs to develop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:08 pm 

I've always been told not to give them water until they are about 3 to 4 months old because they need to be filled up on formula or breast milk and if you give water that will fill them up. It's really important that for those first few months they get everything that formula and breast milk has to offer. In other words water isn't to be used as a sub or a hold me over.

Post subject: Water
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:09 pm 

Hi guys!!! I just had my second baby two weeks ago. The hospital and the peditrician told me no more then an ounce of water per day. But it was not really needed. He just said if she had the hiccups and it wasn't time to be nursed. Other then that there was no need for water. My doctor would prefer I don't even give it. It fills them up and he would rather she has breast milk wihich has what she needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:18 pm 

When my daughter was born, I was advised not to give her water. She was breastfed and it wasn't needed. I offered her a cup of water for the first time around 11 mos when it was really really hot and she didn't want her milk. She also did not get any juice until she was already drinking out of a cup and well beyond having started solid/table foods. even now she doesn't it get much of it and I never water it down for her.