Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:51 am 

When normally should a baby be on strictly table foods? My 9-1/2 month old daughter will eat some food from our plates that is soft- like mashed potatos, etc. But she still will not put finger foods in her mouth if I give it to her in her hand (this is a blessing when it comes to toys, etc. though!!). She will eat small finger foods PUT in her mouth that dissolve quickly. She doesn't seem to like chunkier textered foods, although I do notice her chewing (gumming) her food at times. So she is still eating primarily jarred baby foods, cereal and 3 bottles/day.
I know all babies are different, but can you give me an approximate timeline on this matter?
Thanks.
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:14 am 

Typically around 1yr. If your child is in childcare with 4-C then they make the transition to milk and table food on their 1st bday. No baby food/formula past that unless doc. recommended. Every baby and parent is different like you said. Mine were at 1yr, but I still did bottles but with whole milk for a couple months longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:25 pm 
I have to disagree with the previous post about no baby food after 1 yr. My daughter is over 1 yr and still eats baby food as well as solids. She only has 8 teeth and is not really ready yet for only solids, especially when she's cutting another tooth. She gets very picky and gags easy so she prefers the baby food when cutting a new tooth. The doctor has expressed no concerns, she is VERY healthy and will transition completely when she's ready. Every child is diffrent, if they're not on baby food anymore by 1 yr that's great but if they still are, don't worry. Let her take her time getting there......she will!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:15 pm 

My response was for daycares with 4-C. They do not offer baby food/formula past a yr.
My personal answer was it depends on the child and the parent as to what they choose to do. (Just to clarify) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:56 pm 
What is 4-C? My daughter goes to a home daycare (where her grandma works)and the parents provide everything for their children. I'm not familiar with 4-C. Also, what you said was "No baby food/formula past that unless doc. recommended." Terri B's question didn't include anything about daycare. A statement like that could make a new mom feel like she's doing something wrong or her baby isn't up to speed. I was just trying to share my experience so she wouldn't feel that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:38 pm 

Community Coordinated Child Care- Home daycares can participate in this state funded(I think) program that reimburses the providers for meals/snacks that they serve to the children.
If you don't think your child's ready for table food don't force it, but if they don't want baby food anymore then don't force that either. Your child will let you know when they're ready for it. You can always talk to your pediatrician for info/advice. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:39 pm 

Thanks for your replies. My baby isn't in day care-my mother comes to my house while I work to stay with her. She is finally eating some solid table foods well, but will also eat baby food. It was interesting to hear Samantha say her daughter gags on foods when cutting teeth. My daughter recently started doing this and now it makes sense, because I think she is cutting another tooth. She only has 2 on the bottom right now. The reason I asked this question is I know someone who has a baby 3-1/2 months older than mine and her pediatrician said he should be on only table food by a year-which they did. However, he has several more teeth than mine. Thanks for your help. I feel better about the matter and won't worry about hurrying her along!