Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:28 am 

My wife is finding it hard to adapt to being at home with our son sam for a majority of the time and is actually getting quite lonely during the day when I am not there.

I was wondering if there is anywhere I can get information online about mother and baby/toddler groups she could look at? Most of the information I can find is on breastfeeding support groups but this aspect is fine it is more the social aspect of work she misses. Any advice greatly appreciated!

BTW we live near Montrose but anywhere from Aberdeen to Montrose would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:49 pm 

Hi,

I know how your wife must feel. I felt the same way when I was on maternity leave for a year and the worst part was at the time we were living in a condo so that made it so much worse.
Thankfully, we bought a house last spring and my son is now 19 months so I can take him in the backyard, to the park, etc.
To specifically answer your question there is a website that may/or may not be of help to you. I am not familiar with where you live. I live in Toronto, Ontario. Anyway the website is: www.HelpWeveGotKids.com.
They also have a book for the Greater Toronto Area and I found a few playcentres to take my son to.

Also, check out your local libraries and churches and schools. Many offer free programs to mommies and tots. I just signed me and my son up for Toddler Time at our local library. It's a half hour every Monday and the best part is it's free.

Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:51 pm 

Let me try this again, with no period on the end of the site.

www.HelpWeveGotKids.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:55 pm 

Sorry for all the posts but it looks like the site caters to my area.
I think your best bet is to check a library in your area or church :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:40 pm 

Definitely check out the MOMs Club at www.momsclub.org. They offer many opportunities to meet other parents in the same situation. I belong to one in my area and love it. I have been able to meet many great new friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:40 am 

A lot of churches have playgroups for young children. Another outlet for information...my pediatrician's office has a directory that they offer free in the waiting room that has all kinds of stuff for kids (of course including advertisements), but they also offer playgroups, swimming groups, etc. See of your ped has anything like that!!

Best of luck!! I know...I too was a little overwhelmed at first when I stayed home with my son!! It just takes a little imagination and time to get used to the new status!!!