Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Won't self-feed
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:28 pm 

I am new to this message board. I have little girl who is almost 10-months-old. She eats babyfood well and drinks a bottle (breast mild and formula). However, she refuses to even attempt to drink from a cup and will not pick anything up to feed herself. We have tried teething biscuits and graham crackers, but she just plays with them. When we try to feed her, she cries or turns her head. She has no interest in cheerios. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:08 pm 

Hi,

I would try the cheerios, graham crackers, banana chunks, etc. when you know she is going to be hungry. She will be more willing to try new foods, and self-feed rather than playing with the food if she is hungry.
Don't worry or make an issue of it, just put her in her highchair and put the finger food in front of her. If she is hungry enough, believe me, she will put the food in her mouth. Also, with the sippy cup, just keep trying. Put it on the highchair beside the finger food. Also try offering her water, unsweetened juice or juice watered down between meals in a cup just so that she gets used to it.

All of this will take time and patience and eventually she will self-feed and use a cup, but at her own pace.

Good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:55 pm 

Once again, I agree with Nikki!! She will do it when she is ready!! As for the sippy cup...have you tried some fun sippy cups? I mean like the ones shaped like characters or with fun tops? That may generate some interest.

Welcome to BP!! I hope to hear more about your little one!!

Hugs,

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:59 pm 

She's still kind of young. Just keep offering it to her. Just don't put too much pressure. She'll do it when she ready. With my little guy we used to play at lunch he would feed money and I would feed him. Eventually he got the idea. It is best to do it when she is hungry and never when they are tired. Maybe try it after her morning nap. This way it's lunch time and she's not cranky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm 

she'll do it when she's ready, let her play with the food and get a feel for picking it up. As for sippy cups, try the Nuby soft spout ones, you can get them at walmart they're sold as singles there i have seen them at burlington coat factory too as doubles, those really help tho when first starting out cause its a soft spout closer to the nipple of a bottle.
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:48 am 

My daughter is 16 months old now and finally feeds herself, but I was starting to think she NEVER would. At 10 months, I was in your shoes-almost.
The only thing she would feed herself was Fruit Puffs by Gerber. They're very small and dissolve quick in their mouth. They come in banana, strawberry and sweet potato flavors. She wouldn't drink from a cup either. She never did hold her own bottle-right up until the time she gave it up. With the sippy cup she never really could figure out she had to tip it back some to get the juice or whatever to come out. She finally (after a few weeks of offering it to her)did figure out how to drink from it, but I had to tip it for her. So I got her these cups that have soft rubber-like straws in them-I think the brand might be First Years. You can get them at Wal-Mart. She picked up on the straw right away. And these cups have some sort of valve in them so they are nonspill. This also makes it so the liquid doesn't come out too much at once.
I think my daughter was about 12 months before she decided she would feed herself something else.
Just keep trying but don't pushe it too much. One day she'll shock you and just start doing it.
Good luck!
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:51 am 

I just looked back at an old post I had put out about this same thing. My daughter was 14 months old before she really started feeding herself. So hang in there, it will happen. Just keep offering.
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:18 am 

Thank you so much for all of your replies. It makes me feel a lot better to know that I'm not alone. I just get nervous when I go to the doctor and they look at me like she should be doing all of these things. I know that all kids develop at different rates, but it's not as easy to remember this when it's your own child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:09 pm 

Hi, did u try putting her in a high chair with finger food in front of her - when it is dinner time for the rest of the family. I guess she will be motivated seeing others eating.

cheers
KirthiKarthi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:46 pm 

She is at daycare during the week and eats at the table with the other children. Also, at home she is in the highchair when we eat. I always give her some finger foods (veggie puffs, graham crackers), but she is not interested. I also give her a spoon to hold and a sippy cup. She just gets mad if I try to show her how to do it. I guess I will just keep offering and try not to push her.