Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: worried with question...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:28 pm 

I am due sept. 9th. 04. 3 weeks from now. I just recently discovered I have the hsv virus (herpes). My doctor is unaware if I am currently "shedding the virus" because I have never had an outbreak or experienced any symptoms. However, this matter is very close to the heart for me because my cousin, one year ago, was unaware she had the herpes virus, and birthed her baby vaginally, and the virus was passed to her baby. Her baby, a beautiful 3 week old girl, died from this virus. My question is "Is a ceasarean birth less of a risk than vaginal with the medication my doctor prescribed, valtrex"? I don't want to take ANY chances on my child. I am not worried about my body and the healing process, I just want to be absolutely as sure as possible that my baby will be protected. If anyone knows anything regarding this topic, I would so appreciate you sharing. Thank you!
Worried,
Allie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:03 am 

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I know how anxious and worried you must feel. What does your obgyn think? Does he/she think that you should have a c-sec?

I found a link about herpes and vaginal delivery for you:

http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/midw ... 14,00.html

I hope this helps and good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:11 am 

Hey,

Me again. I was just going to say that if you feel you want to have a c-sec, and your doctor you said did not know if you are shedding the virus, then demand they schedule a c-sec for you. It's your baby and only you can make the right decision for yourself and your unborn baby.
Doctors are not perfect and make mistakes too, that's why there are so many medical malpractice lawsuits.

Just do what you think is right for you and your baby even if your doctor tries to persuade you otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:50 pm 

So far, I think studies show c-section is the safest way to go, although now they give meds to try to supress an outbreak before delivery, but like you said, you never now. The risk of passing it to baby vaginally is less if you've already had outbreaks and greater if you haven't. Plus being preg. lowers your immune system, allowing for shedding or outbreak. Also even after baby is born, be sure to wash your hands well to prevent spreading to baby. It can be harmful if it got in your babies eyes. Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck.