Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
Below are links to sites that deal with the subject of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. In addition to support for bereaved parents, a number of sites advance ways that potentially may help to prevent or reduce the risk of SIDS. Baby Place does not take responsibility for the content on those sites, but is providing links to them in the hopes that some of the information will help to reduce the occurrence of SIDS in the future. Some of the prevention or risk-reduction techniques mentioned may be new or experimental, and therefore we recommend that parents consult with healthcare professionals before utilizing any information on the sites below.
We also want to clarify that the word "prevention" on this page refers to either risk-reduction techniques or a goal for the future, as there is no currently no scientifically-proven way to prevent SIDS 100% of the time.
Help! Please click here to report problems like broken, outdated or inappropriate links.
- Baby Care and Parenting Discussion Group
- Help or be helped by others who have experienced the tragic loss of an infant. Post your questions and answers and see what others have written.
- Unraveling the Mystery of SIDS - by Mark A. Brandenburg, MD
- An informative article written by an expert in child safety.
- Grief Forums at Grieving.com
- Online grief support and help for coping with loss via a number of forums
based on loss of specific loved ones.
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Other Infant Death Information
- From the Georgia Division of Public Health.
- A Single Mom's Pregnancy Journal & a SIDS Angel
- A work-in-progress of a single mom-2-be who has lost her last baby to SIDS.
- SIDS Network home page
- This site offers up to date information as well as support for those who have been touched by the tragedy of SIDS/OID.
- Sudden Infant Death Alliance Home Page
- A national, non-profit, voluntary health organization dedicated to the support of sudden infant death syndrome families, education and research.
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome: misc.kids FAQ
- Frequently asked questions about Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
- American SIDS Institute
- Dedicated to the prevention of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and the promotion of infant health through research, clinical services, family support and professional and community education.
- CJ Foundation for SIDS Home Page
- Washington, D.C. based foundation recommends proper baby care for the prevention of SIDS.
- First Candle
- Oone of the US's leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to safe pregnancies and the survival of babies through the first years of life.
- American Academy of Pediactrics: SIDS-related articles
- Many articles related to SIDS prevention, infant sleep positioning and
- Dr Jim Sprott's Cot Life 2000 Campaign Website
- Information on the phenomenon and the struggle to eliminate crib death.
- Parenting FAQs
- Answers to frequently asked questions about parenting and babies.
- Related books in the The Baby Place Bookstore.
- Books about Infants